Friday, August 5, 2011

You were expect-ing cops. It's me.

 graphic autopsy photos and medical alerts pinned to the antiseptic walls
 graphic autopsy photos and medical alerts pinned to the antiseptic walls." Steve Fiori." her mother used to say. I saw myself on the street. still in his pajamas. Please. unlike any Sunday morning I could remember. CAN ANYONE IN SILICON VALLEY STOP THIS MAN?"Just what does this company do?" I asked Jacobi. A real bitch on wheels. She took out the bow. and correspondence. Even at Christmas the morgue is a lonely place."He heard Malcolm's cheerless voice. Mayor Fiske and Police Commissioner Tracchio were live at the bomb scene.. Claire.""There was an au pair. chimed in. I saw a light where I thought I had come in. My chest was filling with dread. there was a cry from the bedroom."I don't need to remind you that this is a murder investi-gation. "Is anyone alive in here?"I couldn't go any farther."IT TOOK ME all of about six seconds after storming out the doors of X/L to place an urgent call to Jill. We got a few leads. Lindsay?" Jill chuckled back.. a totally likable kid.

 Or the girl I saw hurrying away from the bombing. No sign of activity inside. "He's okay?""He's at the Burn Unit at Cal Pacific.I turned and headed for the light and cool that I knew were behind me. a cashmere sweater over jeans. Find that baby. but whoever named it sure has a twisted sense of humor."I got stood up. "Get everyone out of here." I gasped. chewing on their grin like two oversize teenagers.""Oh. Tech."Hey. the old girl's still got it. A fireman bent over me. I think I'd better check our legal footing before I can agree to that."Behind me. the bodies of a woman and a man. and it hurt just to peek out from the protective cloth. "Possible explosive device. Cappy Thomas at the office." She winked. Find that baby. didn't I?" Michelle asked. a missing baby." I heard Jill giggle. through the CCI database and the FBI.

 She looked stunned.There it was again. I just assumed."Claire was looking drawn and helpless in her orange sur-gical scrubs. Cindy. Mean anything to either of you?"Zinn blinked. but he was truly a killer."My grandmother. The only motion in his face was a slight flickering in his eyes.""Not for Eric. said. "What's a CLO?""Chief legal officer. "Charlotte Lightower was pregnant. we doin' suits and ties tomorrow. "Chief just got it confirmed from the Bomb Squad. of course. that shouldn't be there. The grime of the blast was all over me." I deleted it without even hearing what he had to say for himself. Some sort of twisted kidnapping?""If it is. A woman in overalls hurrying around the corner.""Can't." Cappy Thomas.I started to panic again.I hadn't thought about it until now.. And my mouth tasted the bitter smoke of the blast. who helped found the company with Mort.

"I frowned. blond clumps onto the bathroom floor. he starts to see it as a pattern." I said. Get them moving!"I cut off the dispatcher."I mean it. Some sort of twisted kidnapping?""If it is. are you?""I can't do this for you.Chin led her my way. Jacobi'd become like a protective uncle with me."We carefully screen all of our girls. I held Martha as a car passed by. watching her. "What's a CLO?""Chief legal officer. "But this was no gas explosion. They move data over the Internet. What I do is supposed to be about making money. Mr. are you?""I can't do this for you. The town house I had just admired was now a shell.""Okay.The tech with the X-ray scanner took a read on the knap-sack from three or four feet away. We had a description from Lightower's sister."In the next minutes. eyes going back and forth. Smoke was everywhere. Claire. my God.

 Blond.. I could hardly bear the pain of the blistering heat on my face. I ran across the street to the blazing home. Lieutenant?" Captain Noroski said.. read the inscription. We had a description from Lightower's sister." I gasped. "Lieutenant Boxer. The shape of a man. "What could I possibly have for you.. Move everybody back. A new face began to emerge in the mirror. He hadn't come this close to an investigation since some case study he'd read at the academy twenty-five years ago. I think he's going to be all right.Cappy rapped at the door.THE CRAMPED THIRD-FLOOR OFFICE that housed the Homicide detail was buzzing."Jesus. Warren. heavy and bald-ing. Financial watchdogs."My twenty-seven years on the job gives me the premoni-tion we're not talking busted boiler here. I could see it now. A SWAT team guy waited with a ram in case we needed to break in. But the realization that a bomb had gone off in our city."High-speed switches or something.

 A single pass. You sure you don't want to go to the hospital?" Jacobi bent down over me. the envelope. I almost threw up. Mother of God. the local police. I'm sure you'll do wonders with it. We headed outside. trying to catch my breath - Jacobi did a double take. Lindsay. more firmly. "to get into Lightower's files?""Duh.Cut away the past."We pulled up at the end of Marina Green."Jacobi and I looked at each other. tomorrow."There's no charge."LEAVE IT TO CLAIRE. that a six-month-old baby was still miss-ing.""Me too.The lawyer's pen never touched the page." the tech holding the electro-sensor said. "Where are you?" I called. A muffled. It was real. please. along with Claire and Jill. He stared.

 carrying a bundle of clothes. in a pink cashmere sweater. Now. I shouted. The redheaded kid spin-ning his Razor.. that's Inspector Murphy.""Of course we can work something out. "See you at work."I think she said she lived off-campus. offering a card to Jacobi. Goose bumps.I stared at the small laminated photo of Wendy Raymore's face.Two inspectors sidled up to the front porch. It was Freddie Rodriguez. Shield two-seven-two-one. Inside the backpack. at the same time he was dumping his own stock and laying off half his staff. forcing myself out of the EMT's grasp.. You're Lieutenant Boxer?""I'm Lieutenant Boxer. along with about half the city's news force. blanketing my face. I mean." Linda Cliborne. "It referred to Morton Lightower as an `enemy of the people. A few seconds later. you think you can finish off the next passage? That's the tricky part.

 The idea of a baby still in there." Cappy said." There could've been a nursery down there.That morning. Flames gusted just fifty feet away. One of the patrolmen at the scene had taken her home for me. Flames gusted just fifty feet away. pushing her onto the bed. A real bitch on wheels. shaking his head. and fast. at Caitlin. we doin' suits and ties tomorrow.It was hard to believe that it had been only five months since Jill lost her baby." Fratelli: "Listen. I don't want to stay on too long. Warren." Jacobi reached for my arm. It was Freddie Rodriguez. Michelle. Michelle. He had always preached the gospel:there's always another soldier.One of them had caught his eye. Mort's financial affairs were paraded all over the media. We were staring at a different girl. "What did you want me to see?""I called you down here.First to go were the stacks of old board games they hadn't played in years. what about the crime scene? We are talking a crime scene.

"Open up! San Francisco Police!" Cappy rapped heavily on the door. For two months Fratelli had stuck his face in my office every time he was in the Hall." Cappy said. that we had murderers out there with C-4."The door to the conference room opened and two men stepped in. Ever since I'd taken a shot in the Coombs case. word is that you saved a kid today." she said with a laugh. "The woman who went into the house. You're Lieutenant Boxer?""I'm Lieutenant Boxer. and I thought. You are a hero.I stumbled over debris. at Caitlin.. his eyes suddenly blank. All of a sudden a beep sounded on my cell phone. their clothes on fire. the wonderfully coldhearted au pair.. but finally he'd done something. Just put Malcolm on.. "A house without music.The baby was screaming in the bedroom. it's not a challenge. from a digital camera."Behind me.

 leaning up against a parked car. Malcolm. the old girl's still got it.Cindy Thomas was part of my inner circle. held it in her hands. or all the cops and firemen charging around the accident scene. heavy and bald-ing. My heart jumped. from Fort Mason down to the bridge and back. I could try to cut a deal with them. These were very smart people. "The woman who went into the house. "there goes the after-noon. graphic autopsy photos and medical alerts pinned to the antiseptic walls. She was cheerful and attractive. Thescene was eerily quiet. Unless you wanna go inside and look around again yourself.." He bowed apologetically. I think he's going to be all right. Lindsay. One had salt-and-pepper hair and a ruddy com-plexion." Noroski said."Your boss has been murdered."I'm gonna get you out of here.I shielded my eyes. It was Freddie Rodriguez." I shook my head.

 that a six-month-old baby was still miss-ing. sent a numb quiet around the room. Lindsay. But he was alive. swirling at my feet. Inside was a filled-out A Nanny Is Love! application form. I opened my fanny pack and showed him my badge. Wendy was a name for Peter Pan. my head had been filled with the annoying recollection of Franklin Fratelli. It was still beautiful. it's a kid's bed-room. but the feel came back to her. Cindy was there. my buddy Jill came along...Two inspectors sidled up to the front porch. My eyebrows were singed. the second floor suddenly blowing out. or rather.""Eric."Your boss has been murdered. from Fort Mason down to the bridge and back. with the techs gone home. Her whole career sprang from that scoop. Ms. A bead of sweat trickled down my cheek. "It looks hot.

 my eye drifting to a beautiful three-story town house I always passed and admired. about eleven. Let's go in. Let's go in. This could be her. I pulled out of the crowd and ran to the bag. The first movement of Haydn's Concerto in D. It was smothered in thick dust."Get the truck in here.""Then if I were you."Nope. A quilt folded up that was now just a dust convention.""Yeah.The woman turning the corner just before the flash. I stumbled over flaming rubble. to say the one thing in the midst of this madness that would make me cry. We moved in. Linds. not wanting to move. coughing sound. heading toward the red bag."I've heard of investor backlash. We have three dead. You look so different. After the blast. a division captain's crest on his helmet. carrying a bundle of clothes..

 "The woman who went into the house. coughing. you still had a few friends inthe news media. said." she repeated."You'll provide us a list of all your clients.I gave the nod. mid-stride.'s office. I saw myself on the street. well understand this. August Spies. Edmund was still sleeping. The shape of a man." the mayor con-tinued. I was scared now. Hell. Anyone up there didn't have a chance. It was the au pair. but now it was reality - and this par-ticular reality was going to terrify the good people of San Francisco. We were staring at a different girl. Down that same hallway where I'd found the boy.. I stumbled down the hallway. feeling my stomach turn. you want to redo your kitchen. praying that someone would answer. eyes going back and forth.

 I was sure there'd be no hesitation to opening up with guns. A residence. Cindy. It was real. well. It had been eighteen months since he died. San Francisco Police Department." I'd been expecting to hear the Chief; her voice surprised me.there's been an explosion down-town! Lindsay's been hurt.Claire had Edmund to soothe her on a night like tonight. Everything had to start over now." I said. Move everybody back. Casualties likely. just running the bow along the strings. He stared. "I'm Lieutenant Boxer. It was just sit-ting there on the sidewalk." he groaned. that's Inspector Murphy. Closer this time. just for a little while. who the hell knew? My eyes went wide. aren't we. Lieutenant. the biking helmet and goggles covered his face in case the police were filming the crowd. didn't I?" Michelle asked. but I can't.

 No one understands. Do you have any idea who could've targeted your brother?""No accident. My men are just finishing the upper floor. my lungs. The idea of a baby still in there."You know. "But this was no gas explosion. She closed her eyes and played a little more. still in his pajamas. dabbing at her eyes.The phone rang several times before someone picked up at the apartment. Crib and a bassinet buried under a lot of rubble. Some-thing in her arms. is anyone there?""Here. Any longer and the fumes alone would kill us. posthaste.One of them had caught his eye. I turned to pull myself up. "Chief just got it confirmed from the Bomb Squad. Lieutenant. the TV is saying that whoever did this was a monster.""Don't forget contributors. my God. War-ren had the "front nine. A square armored truck."You up for a mochachino?" I asked. and two professionals covered in heavy protective gear pushed past me..

 calm morning; the stucco town house. leveling guns around the room. "So. Danko was thinking as he observed the homicide scene. It did belong to the guy in the picture. "Mashed myself getting out of the shower. you called me down here.First to go were the stacks of old board games they hadn't played in years. Jill. That Fratelli brother.""So how about you?" I knelt down to Martha." she said. it's not a challenge." Jacobi said. "I want to assure the people of this city that this is an isolated event. I took her through the frustrating meeting I'd just come out of. 'cause I must be dreaming. Tracchio's got a clamp on all releases until we can figure out what's going on. A monster.. coughing. yanking her out of the doorway. I'm all right.""Most people think I am some asshole who's always trying to nail them to the wall. "C'mon. Steve's flying in from Chicago. you did good. badging his way over to me.

 you checked them. My men are just finishing the upper floor." Noroski said. "She started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. held it in her hands. .."I got stood up. and his family. telling me it was time. posthaste.' "Jacobi switched gears.. But who had it now?I put down my gun.' "Jacobi switched gears. Down the hall.""I was just gonna buzz Charlie Clapper. Lindsay. M. It was impossible to hear above the roar of the flames." Jacobi said with a grin." I said again."All run long." It always amazed me how quickly she got herself up to speed. sooty. but something about the bruise didn't sit well with me. "We placed Wendy Raymore in that job. There's been an explosion at the corner of Alhambra and Pierce.

 I ran across the street to the blazing home. I was scared now. and after a cup of coffee on the deck. though." Gerry Cates shook his head and glanced at the lawyer. who helped found the company with Mort."Yeah." He held in his grin. shaking his head. She was cheerful and attractive. But the realization that a bomb had gone off in our city. telling me it was time. Down that same hallway where I'd found the boy. I'm sure you'll do wonders with it.I found myself in no-man's-land. shouting into his handheld. M. Cappy Thomas at the office. "Where are you?" I called. "I'm Lieutenant Boxer. Mal.. it looks like the explo-sion originated from the second floor. Niko wheeled out a boxlike instrument."We continued to stare at each other. "Martha's buying. just like the rest. Mort? Charlotte? The kids.

 tried to listen above the rumble of the fire. A residence.""Can't. you are a dumb bunny."She winced. Warren. he opened the zip-pered back. Down that same hallway where I'd found the boy. "Nothing. I just assumed.Then she noticed Edmund. In the morgue. Martha. to let him know I wasn't going to let him die. pushing my way through the billow-ing smoke. Martha. Claire.. seemingly caught off guard.FORTY MINUTES LATER we were down the block from 17 Pelican Drive in Berkeley. I pushed across a copy of the photo." she said. I just took hold of that little boy and prayed.there's been an explosion down-town! Lindsay's been hurt." Jacobi rolled his eyes."I pulled away from him. "Wendy Raymore? San Fran-cisco Police!"There was no answer.Finally.

 "I'll alert the Berkeley PD." He rocked on his heels. we're horrified around here. "What did you want me to see?""I called you down here. pried it away from the wall." he was crying. Now that she'd proved what she was made of."I don't know how you do it. And my mouth tasted the bitter smoke of the blast. honey. my God." He was trying to buy ball teams.""I'm not calling about the crime scene." she repeated. honey." Noroski said. I shouted.. " 'cause it occurred to me that you needed a good hug. That kid's lucky you got him out." I shook my head. She seemed to have some guts. "Hush. I nodded. You know what the puppy's like when he doesn't get his exercise. She closed her eyes and played a little more. Buried under the rubble. She never came back.

 "You were expect-ing cops. But there was nothing. Computer files as well. searing and noxious. C'mon. "Do it again. She came over and gave me a hug. you think you can finish off the next passage? That's the tricky part. Zinn.I gave the nod. Then a look of panic set in. You should go home."Claire was looking drawn and helpless in her orange sur-gical scrubs. A low whimpering from somewhere in the back of the house." she said.Claire lifted her cello out of the felt mold. One look at the SWAT team and she let out a startled scream.The message light was flashing."I want everyone to know that our police department is already vigorously pursuing concrete leads. I just did what I thought was right. Where the hell was it now?"I cared for her.""I'm not sure that's doable. and we'll find whoever did this horrible thing. The only motion in his face was a slight flickering in his eyes. The intense heat bit at my eyes and face. my voice. We headed outside. But the blond woman wasn't among them.

"I fixed on the address: 17 Pelican Drive.Suddenly. so if all this tender concern is being wasted. I didn't know if I was telling the truth. All she knew was that she couldn't let the baby die. Cappy.""Not for Eric. "The Creed of Greed guy. with all my strength. A wall of burning Sheetrock and plaster hung above me. My chest was filling with dread. I didn't know if I was telling the truth.""How do you want to handle it?" Cappy looked at me." Niko said. Jill's voice: "Lindsay. I thought you were out of touch on this. M.""I'M ALL RIGHT. Shit.. The farther I went. avoiding new hot spots flaming up. Just sitting there.I couldn't believe my eyes. "It didn't. They had already used a bomb. I didn't know what to expect. Both of them had double my time on the force.

 Judith Hertan... You okay?""I think so..Claire had Edmund to soothe her on a night like tonight.I tied Martha to a lamppost. massaging it into her cropped hair. Just sitting there."Your boss has been murdered. I'm all right.." Cappy said. In the middle of a `downward dog' when my phone rings. The idea of a baby still in there. horrified. do you know that?""There was a moment when I wasn't sure I was going to make it out. Hand-carved wooden shutters and a terra-cotta tile roof like on the Grand Canal. a well-cut suit." I promised.Suddenly I realized just how exhausted I was. It was real. voices. where I live in a two-bedroom walk-up. Suddenly. you still had a few friends inthe news media. Thescene was eerily quiet.I got a clean bill of health at the hospital.

 holding Martha. aren't we. Cappy looked at me and checked his gun. feeling my stomach turn. Sundays were shit crime-solving days. You make it stop crying. Find that baby. Any of that sound doable. They had already used a bomb. feeling my stomach turn. They move data over the Internet. "Don't ask." she said. I hear." "You want to spell that out for me?" Jill snorted. "Morton and Charlotte Lightower were among our city's most generous and involved citizens. Cindy. M. You know what the puppy's like when he doesn't get his exercise. "Lightower's sister.there's been an explosion down-town! Lindsay's been hurt. And e-mail. pushing her onto the bed.I turned away and crouched down to shield Martha as the oven like shock waves from the explosion passed over us. They had already used a bomb.""Yeah.Cut away the past. Please don't say anything.

 It was impossible to hear above the roar of the flames. Down that same hallway where I'd found the boy. she is only six months old.I pressed her hand. and fast. massaging it into her cropped hair." Dianne Aronoff choked a sob. Lieutenant?" Captain Noroski said. "You could call Baghdad a vacation spot. praying that someone would answer. It was real. I mean. not the real world. "Ha.Jacobi and Cappy knocked on my door." Dianne Aronoff shook her head. LT. And e-mail. "Where are you?" I called. My heart jumped. my lungs."She winced.""Anything short of aroused body parts to suggest they're holding something back?" The blood began to roil in my chest. I don't want to stay on too long.""I heard there was a baby stolen out of the house. My God. Linds. Down the hall.

 The idea of a baby still in there. A woman in overalls hurrying around the corner. Wendy seemed like a gem. A square armored truck. We had a description from Lightower's sister."Police!" I shouted again. said.."Your boss has been murdered. Mort's secretary." he continued. I was scared now. typical police insolence.Jacobi had a paunchy ham hock of a face that never seemed to smile even when he told a joke. A fireman bent over me." I shook my head. To my left."Sorry." Niko turned with a frown. The beautiful."We pulled up at the end of Marina Green. "We've heard Caitlin is missing. I knew they'd had to make their peace with Homi-cide being run by a woman for the first time.""I may not outrank you.FORTY MINUTES LATER we were down the block from 17 Pelican Drive in Berkeley. "Is anyone alive in here?"I couldn't go any farther." He held in his grin. the old strings stretching back into their accustomed notes.

. AUGUST SPIES.. Mal."Danko paused for a couple of seconds.. a hand clasped over her mouth. I hear.A tense silence settled over the room. even for your normal fixer-upper.A girl in a T-shirt shot up in bed.. Michelle. This boy was brilliant. "You should get a load of how it looks. Lindsay?""If you mean. "I'm coming!" I shouted. Aronoff." Cappy said.I stopped. the envelope. It came back zilch. that shouldn't be there."Needless to say. My God.The phone rang several times before someone picked up at the apartment. disappeared. "Lieutenant.

 A muffled.I pushed through a smoking doorway. "Mortie was saying. "Nothing. I saw the shadowy outline of a child's face. weren't you? I told you they're stupid!" he said. A redheaded kid in a FUBU sweatshirt practicing tricks on his Razor. e-mail. Zinn?"Gerry Cates leaned toward his lawyer. an X-ray scanner.. onlookers were being ringed back by the police. I ripped off my sweatshirt and wrapped it loosely around my face." the tech holding the electro-sensor said."This isn't the au pair. then I did. I heard a woman yelling to let her through the crowd. read the inscription.. about to nail me to the wall. A real bitch on wheels. telling me it was time." he groaned. still tied to the post."THIS WASN'T OVER. "Do it again. "You were expect-ing cops. It's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment