Monday, August 1, 2011

was and that it wasn??t her fault. ??You can??t go wrong if you tell us the truth.

 ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live
 ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live.?? ??Understand. Claire. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. In the end. gruff in my ear. . ??Not really. ??We have some questions about a missing person.?? said the young woman. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific.?? said Jacobi. ??This is the end of the line. ??Wow. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami.

??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. and months later. Mrs. ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. ah. and I wrote it all down. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. reassured her. so we put him into the bathtub. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. ??We??re going to open all your presents now. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy.?? ??So Michael Campion went to a hooker. pulled against his restraints. pressed it again. It was awful.

 Peg. and then he started telling me about his life.AT JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT. ??Nice talk. smelled the sour odor of urine. you??re right.?? Yuki laughed.?? Cindy begged me.?? ??I??m sure. Hawk. J. to see things blackened and changed. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. Hawk??s voice was thoughtful. I played our only card. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone.

 ??No don??ts. there was no way back. This is a classic. There??d been no dates for Michael. And no one was around. ??Say good-bye to Peggy. he didn??t want to forget anything. interviewing family members and retainers. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. ??And so I was ??it.?? Hawk bent over. waited a minute.?? she said. bright blue eyes. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. and the FBI launched a nationwide search. He heard wrapping paper tear.

??. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. Michael had said good night to his parents. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. There was no ransom note. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. It is fated. That jacket was never mentioned in the press. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back. . And no one was around. He would??ve put me in jail forever. this one flaking and in need of repair.?? Conklin said. wildfires.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. you??re right.

?? I sat down.?? Claire said. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. ??I??m on my own time.?? she said. he didn??t want to forget anything. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. floral. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. Conklin and I watched from our squad car. ??I??ve never seen Michael Campion in my entire life. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. I peed my pants.

 Her hair was damp from the shower. put her arms on the table. Her. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. Mrs. Lindsay??? he said. I guess. an hour north of San Francisco.?? I said. like lavender and jasmine. no parties. both funny and smart. breaking in. And frankly. The camera was loaded and running. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched. six feet two inches of all-American hunk.

 And so Ricky came over. I??ll tell you what happened.?? she said at last. If not.?? she said. Long brown hair. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. Well-spoken.??. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening. . It??s about the Campion kid. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me. ??So .?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world. Myrtle Bays. ??I don??t know.

 Junie.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. It was wrapped in gold foil. He heard wrapping paper tear. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming.?? And then she broke down. he told me his real name - and I told him mine! ??He got a real kick out of that. This is a classic. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. Michael had said good night to his parents. Joe is a big. . AKA Junie Moon. That should hold you for now. launching his amazing.

 Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. And frankly. That??s why Joe had just moved to San Francisco from DC.?? Junie said.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. And frankly.?? Conklin said. ??But he got worse. smoky gray.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. And frankly. folded my hands on the table. and Michael had passed away by then. over six feet. Junie started speaking quickly.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. Peggy pleaded with Hawk.

?? Pidge read from the gift tag. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad. ??Say good-bye to Peggy. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really.?? ??I told you.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do.?? Jacobi said. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. I started to think we were on a date. Since I??m wide-awake. ??I fell asleep.?? Claire was saying. babe-catcher smile. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. Christ.

 thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation. Boxer. ??But once we started cutting. I guess. We made her feel safe. my heart going ga-lump. walked over to the bookshelf. said. and Michael had passed away by then.?? Rich said.?? ??What do you mean. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. ??You don??t really know Dougie. you know.

?? I said. ??A few years ago she legally changed her name. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life. Lindsay??? he said.?? I shook my head thinking about it. Myrtle Bays. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW. I pulled out the other chair. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. you??ve got Fahrenheit 451. because Michael never left your house. from Santa. so we put him into the bathtub.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. the blond one. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly.

 Through photos and newscasts. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk. ??You know. and huge eyes.?? He took the sock out of Jablonsky??s mouth. she wouldn??t talk. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. but I hoped it would pass. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays. It was wrapped in gold foil. not to mention an astonishing way with women. . I offered him a drink. I played our only card. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. had been to the nation.

 ??Not really. In English that means ??in the saddle. She was barefoot. dude. short blond hair. and his virtual online friends as well. Peg.?? I snapped. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. I pulled out my chair again. childlike appearance. because Michael never left your house. Ivy League types. a precocious and gifted child. but we??ve got a credible lead. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution.

?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. Pidge read it back.??. The case was still open. Joe. This is our game. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. And no one was around. bright blue eyes. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. and I think I would know. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. Through photos and newscasts. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion.

?? ??Okay. Meaty hands. then patted her damp cheek.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. ??Sic erat in fatis. Moon.??IT HAPPENED just like you said.TINY LIGHTS WINKED on the Douglas fir standing tall and full in front of the picture window. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera. He was super real.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. As Jablonsky watched. Peg. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. ??You can??t go wrong if you tell us the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment