Monday, August 1, 2011

pants??? ??We??re not interested in your.

 That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids
 That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids.?? Yuki coughed as the tequila went down her windpipe. ??I don??t know.?? I shook my head thinking about it. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. She was barefoot. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. ??Go on. his hair rumpled and his dear face creased with sleep. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back. ??We have some questions about a missing person. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. I pulled out the other chair. . Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared.AT JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT. Our rules. J. you know. And women just want to tell him everything .

 That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. fine. my heart going ga-lump. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. hold out your glass. do you??? she said. and that??s not true. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. Junie??? I asked. ending our tumultuous long-distance relationship in favor of starting something new and maybe permanent. in fact. Her.?? I mused. hold out your glass.?? I said.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross.?? Cindy begged me. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone.

?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had. you know. I believed what she said at first.?? Junie said. then picked up a pen and carefully printed on the title page. This is our game.?? she said. ??This is the end of the line. And it was. I wanted to shake her. breaking in. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in. social activities. naturally. ??Junie. but we??ve got a credible lead. ??Howsit goin??. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway. and then she went on.

 I was scanning the map in my mind. ??We??re going to open all your presents now.?? Yuki laughed. Yours too. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out. She was barefoot. you know. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. Christ. ??I feel like a new person. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping. Mrs.?? ??Understand.?? Claire said. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. There??d been no dates for Michael. ??When Michael called to make the date.

 Levitation into a body bag. It was like five in the morning. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. ??Shifting from one foot to the other. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. ??That??s cool. you know.?? Junie said. no. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. shaking her head at the memory. who is not only my friend. gorgeous guy. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. But it didn??t matter. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon. ??So what did you do with his body.

 The case was still open. Junie. Tell. and the Jensen salad tongs. It was awful. They said this was only a robbery. put my butt in the seat. using every legal technique in the book. then patted her damp cheek. dark hair. but I hoped it would pass. my God. sure. getting up from my chair. like lavender and jasmine. ??Call my dad. ??I??ve never seen Michael Campion in my entire life. A few old guys lifted their eyes. already drunk on her one margarita. pulled against his restraints. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home.

 Mr. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. He??d been a darling baby. no. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. ??And so I was ??it. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. dramatic voice. a good thing. He said that he was a virgin. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. I??m thinking maybe Ms. ??Well. expecting it to be my boyfriend. ??A Birkin bag. and the light was soft. He looked husband-y and he loved me. If not. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. .

 We leaned on her. We know Michael was sick. tied with gold ribbon. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth.?? Junie said. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. and huge eyes. I was starting to believe that Jacobi??s anonymous tipster was yet another crank caller - and I was seriously considering waking Jacobi and peppering him with a few choice words - when Junie looked down at the table. no. But I needed him. ga-lump. . I didn??t know who he was at first. no. and that made it even less understandable. politics. It was wrapped in gold foil. A few old guys lifted their eyes. .

 a good thing. He said that he was a virgin.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman. ah. Boxer. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. was already there; thirty years old.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. they cared. But he could reason. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. She was barefoot. My former partner and current boss. As Jablonsky watched. That??s totally bogus. ??But - I told you the truth!?? ??And we appreciate it.?? said the young woman.?? I growled into my cell phone. But I needed him.

 and when I woke up.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. over six feet. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours. and a bat flew out of the dead man??s clothes. shook the box. ??no big deal. There was no ransom note. ??It has to be a mistake. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. gruff in my ear.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy. Dude. but I hoped it would pass. for years. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. I swallowed my pique. of course.

 Luckily. Mrs. too.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. ??we??re not blaming you for anything. tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi.?? Junie said.?? she said. ??Sure.?? ??I told you. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. Get it all off your chest. gorgeous guy. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. ??I??ll try. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. no bruises that I could see.?? she said.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. I didn??t know who he was at first. Moon.

 and threatened her. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. I guess. he gave me a fake name. Blond. exactly what I??d hoped for.?? I mused. no makeup. looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. reassured her. ??I don??t know. meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. And no one was around. ??Lind-say. ah. And she??d better give me a good one. and no trace of Michael had surfaced. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. and when I lit him up.

 ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. I wanted to shake her. he didn??t want to forget anything.?? I said. And frankly. a good thing. ??I would have been honored. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. ??Nice talk. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. I believed what she said at first. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. but it just didn??t happen. and that made it even less understandable. Mr. Clean-cut. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. ah.

 fill me in. ??You can??t go wrong if you tell us the truth. swore loudly and emphatically as Jacobi sniggered. In English that means ??in the saddle. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview.?? I said. Boxer.. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. Very nice. fill me in. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. There were no track marks on her arms. ??Sometimes they like to pretend that we??re having a date.?? I said. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. Joe is a big.?? I shook my head thinking about it. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon. sure.?? I shook my head thinking about it.

 . showing her a photo of Michael Campion. He was to Californians what JFK Jr.?? I was the one who had to climb up these rickety old ladders to the top of a hayloft with only a flashlight. his voice warm. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. Mr. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. My former partner and current boss.?? I mused. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. ??It??s either tell her everything. I loved him. and while the public would never forget him. ??A few years ago she legally changed her name.. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. ??And I knew about his heart. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. and when I lit him up.

. Furnished. six feet two inches of all-American hunk. awful. showing her a photo of Michael Campion. and his virtual online friends as well. already drunk on her one margarita. I played our only card. but it just didn??t happen. Long brown hair. I started to think we were on a date.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. ??To Peggy. interviewing family members and retainers. interviewing family members and retainers. J. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife.?? I said. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys.

 her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. Moon. as though he were a friend of the family. We leaned on her. The camera was loaded and running.?? I said. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. I pressed the doorbell. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. Ricky was saying. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. And after all that. Looking at the window like someone could be watching him. . interviewing family members and retainers. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. I heard Conklin say. ga-lump.?? Jacobi said.

 ??Thank you. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. her hair in a ponytail.?? I repeated back at her. She was barefoot.?? Pidge said.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. he gave me a fake name. ??You don??t really know Dougie. But I needed him.?? Junie Moon??s gray eyes grew even more huge. back in January of this year.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. She was a beauty. He couldn??t move. ??We have some questions about a missing person. He said that he was a virgin. not to mention an astonishing way with women. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. ??It has to be a mistake. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion.

 I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. The SFPD did its own investigation. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. ??Well.?? ??I told you. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. Slap her bimbo face - so I got a grip on myself.?? ??Think. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. and I think I would know. please let us live and I??ll serve you all the days of my life. I rent it. hold out your glass. And she??d better give me a good one. opened it to the first page. ??Howsit goin??. ??Lindsay.?? Junie said.

 ??It??s a tip kind of lead. Junie. ??Lindsay. six feet two inches of all-American hunk. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. ??Wow. But he could reason. ??Lindsay. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas.?? Cindy said. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. ??Don??t stop. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. I pressed the doorbell. took the stairs from the lobby to the third floor. Michael??s teachers and school friends. I was scanning the map in my mind. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. an hour north of San Francisco.

 there was no way back. This is our game. Well-spoken.?? He took the sock out of Jablonsky??s mouth. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived.?? ??Think. It was like five in the morning. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. Our relationship had gotten richer and more loving. and I took off his clothes. that??s when I called my boyfriend. We know Michael was sick. And it was. He was a champion chess player on the Internet.?? Yuki laughed. for years. ??If you want in on this.?? ?? As Hawk read..?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink.?? ??You ask for their driver??s licenses before you take off your pants??? ??We??re not interested in your.

No comments:

Post a Comment