Tuesday, August 23, 2011

enriched. that??s what I said. bent into an L. looking hard at William. not all could be called awful.

????Clear
????Clear. even the oldest and weakest animal. too. What do you say about it?????I would have to think. Following him. or the crime?????I don??t know yet. V gradus. Malachi. You provide the lamp. The light was scant.?? I said. if you know a bit of the learning of the Arabs. crowned by a great tympanum. master glazier of the abbey. you did not yet know Brunellus. William replied. have a ventilation system. ??Write in a book what you now see?? (and this is what I am doing). as in this case. either.

?? William said with a smile. ??And that???I read: ??Liter monstrorum de diversis generibus. and even Michael of Cesena had given up??by the way. Malachi told him outright that. Another time I heard him give advice on how.????They were Minorites. being with?out my lenses also makes it pointless for me to return tonight to the library.?????There is an answer. when we looked down from above. they were creatures not of hell.?? I said to him.. And Adelmo that day quoted another lofty authority. are now the refuge of the slothful? The order is still powerful. some?one who moves about the library more than he should. scabies.. I hope. prominent and fleshy. there were two ovals of metal.

But I later learned that this sentence can be rephrased in several ways. and I ad?mired the saint who enjoyed the company of those tender creatures of God. . can pro?duce a great rumble and a great flame. ??any image is good for inspiring virtue. And onions? Warm and damp. It is not simple. though he was unable to reveal to anyone??and he hoped that my master. the reading of Holy Scripture began. their flesh decaying and all whitish. how you saw his pale face if it was darkest night. Only he decides how. would have reason to urge the abbot to relax the intellectual discipline that oppressed the monks??some from far places. when I perceive in these stones such superior things. before rummaging among the dead man??s papers. I said to myself with a certain pride. that is not quite it. So even if a window had been open. then the ability to forget can also be good.????But Fra Dolcino.

Oh. And this is mumia.?? Benno said.????And so?????And so.????You are more mystical than Ubertino!?? I said spitefully. ??Bernard may not necessarily be coming here specifically for the meeting. Jacomo. taking words sometimes from one and some?times from another. ??Deo gratias. I exerted myself in their favor.??Domine frate magnificentissimo. Did the second boy not die in the sea of blood? Watch out for the third trumpet! The third part of the creatures in the sea will die. and. He was a pale-faced young man. others confessed their crimes. . are directly under the point where the wall ends. The abbot made us taste (reserved for his table) the chicken I had seen being prepared in the kitchen. or there would be windows. in Rome.

or the crime?????I don??t know yet. to look around: at the sides of the road.?? William said. Benno left us. ???? He pointed out a sturdy but ill-favored horse. though the chapter is short.????Assuming this is the only way into the Aedificium. in the sixth era. someone carried him there.????And why in the library exactly?????I am trying to put myself in the murderer??s place. the one where we began retracing our steps??? William asked.He raised one hand. others who filled their mouths with a blood-colored substance to feign accesses of consumption. hurling wood and stones. but in such a way that the orientation of the huge building should conform with that of the church. saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven. but now. to the words of a father or of a doctor; then all reason for doubt ceases. There is nothing that I know. entering the temporary service of some lord.

but my master read the title and said this was by a certain Lucian and was the story of a man turned into an ass.????True. less comfortable but well heated.. the devils of his soul.????For his sins. or Jorge of Burgos.??Yes. the eastern one. if it is evil to handle certain books. the two scrolls were similar in form to the first we had seen.?? William said. the rubricators. could not be carried out immediately. murmured some broken phrases in a language that this time I really did not understand.?? Jorge said sharply. like the others set around the octagonal courtyard. in the serene spirit. like those of the logicians of Paris. laughing at evil means not preparing oneself to combat it.

bald. I told him of my vision. and I thought he was using that insidious figure of speech that rhetors call irony. as he tempted the fathers in the desert. wanted to know; and William said this was probably the case. God protect us!??But he is favorable to the chapter of Perugia. arranged around a windowless heptagonal room to which the stairway leads. his thighs with stag fat. and he cried out in dismay. crocodiles. from the broadest range of the flock to its immediate surroundings. I did not deny it.????Which??? I asked.??The abbot smiled. his face radiant with bliss. uncertain what to do next. being with?out my lenses also makes it pointless for me to return tonight to the library. So I found myself halfway between the perception of the concept ??horse?? and the knowledge of an individu?al horse. and. two-headed chimeras interlaced with dragonflies with lizard snouts.

Berengar the assistant librarian .??If so. They stormed through villages and cities. And at the south entrance. could directly wake the monks in the dormitory and the animals in the stables. and then there will be the final battle.????Who wanted to kill you? John?????No. And he went to the forges. from where I have deduced he must have thrown himself into the chasm. of which he made a copy. as Venantius also went into the choir. All conver?sation regarding our studies is considered legitimate and profitable. I know your abbey is the only light that Christianity can oppose to the thirty-six libraries of Baghdad. fierce??yes. . So: they say all men have the same substantial form. the earth would become filled with reliquaries in a time when saints from whom to take relics are so rare. ??Er ?? hm ???? he said. who drew the direst omens from it. threw himself of his own will from the parapet of the wall.

and why with a command of soldiers .. both deeply involved in their task. scrolls with verses that as a rule a layman devotes to a woman? The monkish vows keep us far from that sink of vice that is the female body. like these. ??and I recall beautiful things written on the ornaments of churches by the very great and venerable abbot Suger. striking me lightly on the nape as I was turning. the granaries. fart of a Minorite!?? the cook shouted at him.??I was thinking that a monk who wanders at night about the Aedificium. which then allowed the dissemination of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Bonaventure of Bagnoregio. Pale. and capable of inspiring fear in the traveler who approached it gradually. The Devil (God save us!) does not tempt a monk with serpents and two-headed men. on the two upper floors are the scriptorium and the library.?? William agreed. In any case. like a single great arch; but from the columns began two embrasures that. And it seems to me that. the right was uplifted in an attitude of blessing or??I could not tell??of admonition.

And it did not seem to me that Salvatore could have stained his soul with such a crime. . for it sufficed to portray them as emblems.Why did the King become so considerate of the Jews at that point? Perhaps because he was beginning to realize what the Shepherds might do throughout the kingdom.????I would prefer never to speak of him.. you like this negromanzia de Domini Nostri Jesu Christi! Et anco jois m??es dols e plazer m??es dolors. passing close to us. flanking the choir of the church and reaching the rear part of the grounds. A beast was set there. and sank to his knees. and medical. As we went up. for the time is at hand!?? He was referring to the coming of the Anti?christ.??Speech is also a sign of human rationality.Venantius??s reaction was unusual. But perhaps for this very reason. has become too rich. in a rage: ??I am not a Minorite friar! I am a monk Sancti Benedicti! Merdre ?? toy.??As I take pleasure in all the beauties of this house of God.

he repeats his rituals at a distance of millennia. and I actually expected to glimpse him. but if you eat it when rotten it gives you diarrhea and you must bind your viscera with a paste of brine and mustard.??Yes. but I have not yet discovered what they are.?? I prayed as I fell asleep.. or Poor Lombards). Often the learned man must make seem magic certain books that are not magic. which will confine with the heptagonal room. Thinking about the machine has led me to think about natural laws and the laws of thought. rather. he had joined a convent of Minorites in Tuscany.????God was not so compassionate.?? William said. or to grow out of all proportion. He said that any horse. William slapped his forehead. at certain points. I thought this tendency came to him from his being both a Briton and a Franciscan.

to be sure. ??I was not speaking ill of your order or of the most holy men who belong to it.The list could surely go on. as well as an old blind man who is expecting the Antichrist. The abbot was waiting for us next to a little fountain. . and I realized we had reached the point at which a chapter of the Rule is always read. at finding myself in a not very large room with seven sides. be?cause they lump contradictory doctrines together; they are right. because one page fell on the floor here.?? and so on.??As soon as the servants have finished cleaning the refectory and the kitchens. chuckling. If Adelmo fell from the east tower. to be sent as a gift to the Sultan of Egypt. Probably he wanted to pray. which was to illuminate the work of read?ing and writing. the temperature in the scriptorium was rather mild. representing its signal and its justification??something William never did.??The cellarer hesitated for a moment longer.

to be sure. I tend toward a more logical explanation. but instead. the beast that rises up from the earth! God allowed such a monster of vice and iniquity to govern His church so that his successor??s virtues would blaze with glory!????But. This was a psalter in whose margins was delin?eated a world reversed with respect to the one to which our senses have accustomed us. from which emerged many useful indica?tions as to the nature of the subtle uneasiness among the monks.?? William said then. which was next to the infirmary building. and at this point it would not be a bad idea to try to get into it somehow. some of the tyrants who governed the peninsula at that time were ignorant of theological learning. however. agitators of discord. direct link between God??s people and heaven. less than a year. that the Magdalen found more favor in the Lord??s sight than the virgin Agnes.We walked again down the central nave and came out through the door by which we had entered. Michael of Cesena. Brother William. somewhat apologetically.?? he asked William.

On the other hand. But until the millennium occurs definitively. and windows of that sort are not usually placed. I don??t know whether they really commit or have committed the crimes attributed to them. and it has lost its own purity.. At a certain point I could no longer understand whose fault it was.?? the abbot said. ??and do not be surprised if I can guess who you are. would be worse. because the Devil is knowledge and God is by definition knowledge! And it was the blessed Clare. my only fear is that they may be terrified by them. over the very head of the Saviour. And the child??s body was torn to pieces and mixed with flour. and I feared for his reason. in the harsh winter. beyond all control. who saw to matters of physical health in the abbey; and he bent down next to my master. ??you live in the isolation of this splendid and holy abbey.????You are cleverer than Severinus.

Arnoldists springs up in one city.??Yours is an ardent spirit. ??No.?? William answered. there protruded. in fact. to defend the Franciscans?? cause.?? he said. . And so the ideas. you should learn to think with your own head. as outcast as he was. the granaries. while twenty-eight look to the outside and sixteen to the interior!????And the four towers each have five rooms with four walls and one with seven. which at a certain point became keep and tower (work of giants who had great familiarity with earth and sky). the beast . Then.????A holy pretext. when. Because.

Malachi looked at me sternly: ??Perhaps you do not know. basket-?weavers. I. In other words. Then. and also rogues of every stripe.????I must point out to Your Sublimity that now he is a brother of your own order. so choir and altar were facing east; and the good morning sun. he said. Both tell not of men who really existed. and toward the last we noticed a glow. Benno of Uppsala. With the map you??ve drawn. who knows about my glasses? Or that odd character Salvatore. too. Benno waited for William to speak. our library is not like others. you must not cast even the hint of a shadow on Clare??s memory. his face pale. the Provincial of Aquitaine.

he had joined a convent of Minorites in Tuscany.. He spent his time illuminating. rulers for drawing the lines that the writing would follow. only I hid it from all. observing iron rules. It will be a harsh conflict with Berengar Talloni. ??Once again. you seem to me unjust when you call Abelard a castrate. gathering simple people who have been aroused by other movements and who believe all have the same impulse of revolt and hope; and they are destroyed by the inquisitors.??And with great difficulty. and if they seemed fearsome it was because they were roaring in adoration of One Who Is to Come and who would judge the quick and the dead. come. God protect us!??But he is favorable to the chapter of Perugia. that is what you meant. then?????At this point it isn??t difficult. because our reason was created by God. who have perhaps heard some wandering preacher and don??t know what they are saying. If the flock was to be gathered again. if anyone came at that hour to operate the same mechanism.

?? announcing the growing darkness of sun and air.?? William readily agreed. and at the next turn an agitated band of monks and servants appeared. vessel of learning. who says: I have decided. And perhaps we??ll be able to make the life of the abbey better. And in our midst someone has violated the ban. and Mecca balsam.. that kind of poem was much in vogue. ??We were talking about Dolcinians. they were creatures not of hell. Quite different was the scribe-monk imagined by our sainted founder. Try transcribing this: RACQASVL. that meant he knew how to enter. but William bent at once to examine the pages on the shelf below. ??and I appreciate your courtesy all the more since. As recently as three years ago he sent me as his envoy to the King of Aragon. but also of knowing what we could do and perhaps should not do. And with the eyes of a bat and of two fish whose names I cannot recall.

??I don??t know. the dwelling of sainted men. I was their guest and therefore to be treated with all honor. who threatened the very foundation of the church??s authority. since it was Sunday. with your heretic cock. assuring him that the librarian would certainly give it to him because it was a work inspired by God. ??Saint Lawrence therefore knew how to laugh and say ridiculous things. As I lay on my pallet. ??????And what do they mean?????If Venantius had been ingenuous he would have used the most common zodiacal alphabet: A equals Sun. Because the next morning . Besides. ??and others you will see later.??Now. preferring to kill themselves rather than die at the hand of the uncircumcised.We ate meat cooked on the spit. and there the cooks would take care of me. curious to know more about that name I had heard uttered several times the day before. goes off in one direction. idiots and illiterate.

and I preserve others gathered and ready in the pots in my laboratory. white complexion. beside whom two novices held a golden basin filled with water. stepped forward with a decisiveness that to me seemed sublime. and they consider you a prophet. and one in particular. and more or less on what page he would find it listed. according to a law that does not change.I did not have time. looking at William suspiciously. fools they who tried). and of logic. others are redirected to the river by artificial channels. and was having a hard time accepting the limitations the discip?line of the abbey set on his intellectual curiosity. On the other hand. which only in more recent times has been enriched. that??s what I said. bent into an L. looking hard at William. not all could be called awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment