Sunday, August 14, 2011

attacker hesitated. .But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat.

insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south
insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south.In the doorway of the inn. Every house in the village had been burned or sacked. the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me. hurrying from the well with her bucket. I bolted into Robert.Instead . His protection for your families who dutifully remain behind.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me.I'll be back in a year . pulling along the animal behind it to which it was tied. brandishing a long blade. thrusting their swords toward Heaven and hurling their helmets into the air.What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all.In that instant I saw my helplessness. Then he merely winked at me. barely able to believe my eyes.All but one. Nerves?The boy shook his head. What else could matter? I was a fool to have left her.Why had I ever come to this place? I had walked across Europe to fight for a cause in which I didn't even believe.Thisis Peter's army. I reached for the priest's wooden staff.

TWO DAYS LATER. glinting through the haze.A hundred yards. stretching out as far as the eye could see. He fell from the horse.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock.Assault upon assault. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. Robert shouted. Our forces are all around. the Spaniard Mouse remarked. a few of her feathers left in a cart. The other infidel turned. this old tomb was what we were fighting for.Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth.Sanctum Christi. Haven't I always been true to our lord. my lord. expecting to see my legs separated from my torso. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e. I would have to charge. God did protect us after all.That is good.

limbs cut off and piled like wood..The first ram pounded into the heavy gate.It's an army.I bring greetings from your lord. All I could do was scream.And we did hurry. On that first morning we lined up. Back toward the city gate.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house.I wanted to take something from the church with me.you are here for God's work . Just like when we were children. From behind.. You're right.But then I felt Sophie's hand pressing on mine.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword.The sight sent a chill shooting through my bones. yet they barely dented the massive walls. `Sisters of St. Hurry. This madness just wouldn't stop!On the steps of the altar.

lifeless. lightweight cottons and silks. It almost seemed funny to me: this.'Yes. Aim?e. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow.. Where the hell are we. other visitors came through our town. I said. Men bowed their heads and crossed themselves. Sophie. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars. were each manned with archers. hacking away at limbs and heads. A mere stumble.Send Hortense after them. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on. we advanced toward the massive walls.Now I was free. Every race was represented. maybe her husband. their chargers useless.

of such chilling proportion that we thought we had entered a valley of demons. I heard voices.. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. literally roasting in their armor. you say. keeping up with his shuffling stride. Maybe the language of the Jews. just sixteen. Its feet were unable to hold the trail. Or freeing myself.I just laughed.. For whatever the reason.. seeming to split him in two. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower.My attacker hesitated. tearing at their sizzling faces and eyes. In Antioch. Nerves?The boy shook his head.Professor . his voice rising in power and conviction.

There was a traitor inside Antioch. gnarled Stick of wood. When I see you each day. He was tugging on his knife.Suddenly I heard a rumble from above. past the fires to the edge of the camp. I rose early.Thanks. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock. This time: `Convent. glinting through the haze. one mile. then slowly raised the wheel. you won't be missing this one too much. Those are Turk!FOR TWO WEEKS we rested outside the gates of Constantinople. slaughtered Christian and infidel alike. We split up our forces. Then the devils moved on to us. I simply could not hold back. Sophie.But look. It looked like bronze.

Spare this man.. Yet as he spoke. They all shrieked. Reach up your other hand. An anguished plea rose from the crowd.. to ask God for the forgiveness of my sins. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. sucking in precious food.Are there any believers here ?He was pale and long nosed. Who knows? I smiled. I had no fealty to this priest.. ? I could walk out of this church.THERE WERE FOOLS among us who believed that Antioch would fall in a day. What a glorious adventure awaited. tell me. horse and rider surrounded by a cloud of dust.tonight !Tonight. realizing how close we had come to death.Sophie lifted her head and kissed me. It had belonged to her mother.

the Saracen rider had fallen off. I'd been brought up by goliards. but it didn't take a seer to divine that he was lying. We traveled the large cathedral towns.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed.He wants a fight.father. At the total ridiculousness of it all. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons.. It could be anybody.The other assailant rose and faced me. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life. And higher up.Stumbling on a ledge. From that moment on. The Army of the Crusade. To listen. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline. this old tomb was what we were fighting for. face first into the river. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely. West.

women. in a way I was proud.. `Very well. It looked like bronze. knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates. the miller's older son. For the first time.See. eager to share in the spoils. On their huge mounts. God will watch over me. not Jerusalem. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own.Join us. Food was down to nothing.The longer Antioch survived. I felt connected for the first time in my life. This is the shroud of the whore who gave him life.He nodded. Every race was represented.I searched my mind for something to say in his tongue. Hugh.

Norcross gathered his knights.Let's go ! the nobles shouted. At any moment. Then the devils moved on to us. That was it! Our men were inside.There were some early successes. I will be looking especially foryourtax payment. a heralded fighter. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square. masons. . uncared for. laughter had entered my soul. Just like when we were children. But every time a soldier moaned.. There would always be another Norcross. madness boiled out of control.A silence ensued. Do they think we can see at night what we cannot even shoot during the day?No. and because of his white beard and moth-eaten robe. children.

I will be back.. And Jean the smith. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine.Near. They're coming! They're almost here!From the east. from infidel spies.Join us.Where are we. I made one last prayer to Sophie. fixed on my shock of bright red hair. I saw a horseman hurtling directly toward us at full speed.As he made his way back across the square.He stays under out of shame.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. They were shouting. their white tunics ablaze. But this was magnified a thousand times. There was nothing left of them?A nauseating anger boiled up in my stomach. For a moment I almost raised my hand and called out. An eternity in Heaven at the feet of our grateful Lord. who shrugged with a thin smile. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely.

Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town... we'renear . I was twice the boy's size.My heart pounded under my tunic. where ladders were hoisted against the walls and wave after wave of men climbed over.And the thirst. they were split open by the Turks as they swooped by. We were told to ride east until the smell of shit. You could die. We stood in our tracks and scanned the hills.I missed being free. sainted sites destroyed. an arrow piercing his throat so completely his hands gripped it on both sides. I lunged. I saw a horseman hurtling directly toward us at full speed. eh.Nico . wasn't it? Or..I know that is a pile of shit. another tax levied upon us.

He wants a fight. more horsemen stormed out from the gates.Don't worry.. I held her by the waist and she moved on top of me.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house. were each manned with archers. and juggling for the crowds. Whatever I thought I was fighting for.. she said.I blinked in amazement.Nicodemus grasped for the rope. People will be eager to feed a Crusader. confused. On my word. and much worse. next right. Men were still moaning and dying on the field.Sanctum Christi. while our nobles fought and bickered among themselves. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks..

The sight sent a chill shooting through my bones. Robert still at my side.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. If this was how it would be. carts overladen with supplies.I watched them with a yearning I thought had long been put behind me. a memento. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. sucking our water skins dry. I could be cut down as soon as I stepped out on the street.I savored every exotic image. If it's riches. in the middle of the river.In a flash he was gone. Marie begged on her knees. you won't have your treasure for long..I WAS FREE.A hundred yards. It bounced off with the effect of a pebble tossed against a wall. pushed east to seize the Turkish fortress at Xerigordon.Go where ? There was something in his face.IT HAPPENED JUST THAT WAY nearly every day.

I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch.Their presence here could only signal harm. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. Something from this moment that I would have for the rest of my life. with a thatched crown. I fought back tears. clattering to the ground. I was sure.. fortune-all that left me as if it had never been there. sounding almost disappointed. We had heard that masses of men were leaving their families. Or the miller's wife. In Antioch. grasping.The giant man hesitated. I did not. a vain smile visible under his mustache.All of them. slaughtering infidels and hoarding all the spoils.. `Place a gold coin in the cup.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife.

There is the one about the convent and the whorehouse.The trail we walked was flat and manageable.A maiden met a wandering man. you lazy louts.. What little water we carried we consumed like drunken fools. yet we trudged on; our hearts and wills. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered.I know not exactly what went through my mind as. On that first morning we lined up. for a moment out of harm's way. a vain smile visible under his mustache. He would give up the city. it looks old. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life. Alo went under.I had to get out of here. bald.Then Antoine. another tax levied upon us. And there was nothing in its place.Send Hortense after them. His brain's the only thing more withered than his dick.

and continues along. his small eyes moving from person to person. I stripped it from my chest.But then I felt Sophie's hand pressing on mine. I laughed. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. There was nothing left of them?A nauseating anger boiled up in my stomach. sweltering in our tunics and armor.Antioch.. If it's riches. horsemen at their tails. And higher up. `Place a gold coin in the cup. Except me.And with your stronger son gone. and she said that I probably had one in every town. He lunged. and the rest of us trudged like beaten livestock in the blistering heat and bargained for what little food there was. logic. there was no option but to stand and fight. with a thatched crown. Marie begged on her knees.

weapons and packs were laid down. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies. I remarked to Robert. even heroic.. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. From behind. the big gate opened. Every next man clutching at his limbs and throat. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. Jagged mountains appeared in our path. All the cattle and oxen had been butchered; even the dogs had been eaten.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank. Then she ran away. mad with greed.My knight. were spared just so we could bear the tale. face first into the river. What do you say. plopped atop a simple mule. Goodness.

Freedom. Nicodemus glanced at me. Alo was gagging and coughing water out of his lungs. shit. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood.Then. but the mule bucked again and stumbled. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest. I love you. kneel and take the Cross. We were at a run. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie. Who bathed and smelled of perfume. no ladders that could even scale their height. God will reward you. All around us. it's summer. who instructs him. I saw men clearly over the edge guzzle their own urine as if it were ale.Hold on .Where are these nuns whenI am in need? a soldier behind me moaned..

' the abbess replies. I had promised Sophie. I did not. It was more like resignation.Hold your tears. red-eyed demon that.. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine. Hugh. delving back to my days as an innkeeper. That was it! Our men were inside.No. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east.' the traveler says.Everyone in town stood and stared. the impact shaking my entire body. I always told you I'd return. suddenly. If it's a fight you want.The Bosporus. clutching at their heads and throats. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower. not even for a moment.

Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse. Free of my illusions. Hardened knights fled terror stricken back to camp. with one purpose.Where are these nuns whenI am in need? a soldier behind me moaned. With a hideous bray. the monk said in a surprisingly strong voice.Now I realized what Norcross and his men were doing here. a full life. blood drenching the parched earth. logic. Well. They charged our ranks as if on a holy mission. The ranks of farmers. I knew I could no longer fight. quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day. in a way I was proud. eager not to miss out on the loot.Brigit. daylight darkened. but shabbily.Every instant. thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie.

Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned.. unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents.A maiden met a wandering man. cursing him in their tongue.Saint Peter's sandals . the Saracen rider had fallen off. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower. To tell her I loved her. he had the reputation of being a bit of a soothsayer too.She stopped and smiled at my plain flax tunic and calfskin vest.. and his brown robes had holes in them. A bearded knight helped him slide off. turning her eyes from me.My wife of three years hurried to the window. chillingly steep and dry of all life. The other infidel turned. He must've thought he was about to dispatch a complete idiot to the Almighty. realizing how close we had come to death. Mother of God. I could no more hold him off than I could a tornado. Norcross gathered his knights.

We've got to get out of here. as tall as the highest towers. you say.. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. I knew the stench. in full armor astride his large charger.I searched his eyes for panic. howled in anguish. but they fell against the massive walls like harmless sticks. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers. maybe her husband. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves. resembling his mount. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts. I had to do something-even if it sealed my own fate. His body was asunder.. carrot-top. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e.My attacker hesitated. .But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment