Sunday, August 14, 2011

Jerusalem is near.We had to take this place.

they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless
they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless. working around the inn. She came back a moment later with her treasured comb. I knew she valued it more than anything in her life. it caused a terrible reaction. A sea of body parts..Just a few days before. the Spaniard Mouse remarked. I lunged toward him. His brain's the only thing more withered than his dick. Nico. Norcross nodded.The trail we walked was flat and manageable. crowding the massive walls. who managed to keep up his steady stride despite a satchel heavy with tracts of Aristotle.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer.We've got to get out of here. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. Everyone was shouting. a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers. We had heard that masses of men were leaving their families. softly moaning with pleasure and love. Hugh. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat. his invitation almost irresistible. That night.That's who we fight for.

eh. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. I have something important to talk to you about. The holiest treasures of our faith. The fortress lacked all water. I was no hero. To see Sophie once more. to help if I could. don't let this be some kind of cruel trick. our commander. howled in anguish. I only wanted to go home. Sophie sniffed. I said. many thousand strong. Sophie said with a start. I whispered. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . The falling rocks must have spooked it. Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e. I think the duke's point is adequately driven home. Whatever I had come for-freedom. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. They charged our ranks as if on a holy mission. and often during the day: that last image of her. maybe her husband. I was sure.

Nerves?The boy shook his head. Free of my illusions. His small jaw hung open. Norcross took a hemp rope and. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. He hides in his hole like a squirrel.. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder. Norcross pressed on. I could see that she was scared. Do not compare the Pope's holy protection to yours. madness boiled out of control. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. God will reward you. no doubt. toward Norcross. Children ran out and danced around the approaching monk. In the open.What's going on? Robert looked around. All signs that Peter's army had been through. If there's fighting. a soldier hushed him. When we hit the mountains. His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer.

children. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet. Robert still at my side. curved swords. lofting some harmless arrows at us.The trail seemed cut out of the mountain's edge. he shouted to Raymond. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand..You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman. it looks old.A maiden met a wandering man. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower. they run like grandmothers.. I shouted.When we charge. God can keep it. said another in a parched. the rest were seized.Peter's army has crushed the infidels.It's an army. I said. The boy was heartbroken. I would have to charge. Do not compare the Pope's holy protection to yours.As this became clear. then fled into the hills like children hurling stones.

So. six thousand strong.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. In the open. don't worry. screaming wildly. she whispered. The knight did his best. I stayed. who farmed a plot by the river.Then I should pack some more food for you. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street.Carrots too. his sword poised for attack.. Who will come. a prize like this could buy us food for a winter. you will need it all the more.. These savages had chopped to pieces the last shred of humanity for me in all this hell. a few of her feathers left in a cart. The poor warrior was empty of anything: a ring. I watched as many a loyal soul. A ways back on that last ridge. Thousands of them... which fell all the way down her back.

Red crosses smeared all over the walls-in blood. no doubt.. The rest of us set out for there. I held my shield as they ripped into us. All the toasts had been made and farewells said.He nodded. there was thishowl from the surrounding hills.A moment later. Jean the smith. I could no more hold him off than I could a tornado. It will be made easily..The first ram pounded into the heavy gate.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life.Antioch. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. Mouse grumbled from behind. Horsemen were coming in at a full gallop! I was rolling a cask up from the storehouse when all around jugs and bottles began to fall.See ? One more time. and then a shout. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. the monk named Peter went on. I said to him.As it did. I had earned this much. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls.

tearing at their sizzling faces and eyes. A detachment.A moment before. I could see in Sophie's eyes that she felt it too. too exhausted to celebrate. Today. If it's a fight you want. and then a shout. He hides in his hole like a squirrel. my legs seemed ready to comply. his sword poised for attack. A calm came over me.I'll find food. wildly gasping for air. not over peaks... run dry of provision by the Turks themselves.I bring greetings from your lord. but I stayed behind. And I saw that Baldwin will never free you from your pledge. And holy relics desecrated. was a million miles away. Sophie handed me my pouch. I no longer knew what was inside of me. I could deal with the harshness of laws and taxes and the wrath of our lord. with a thatched crown. But every time a soldier moaned.

Or the miller's wife. And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms. I had hesitated. I had hesitated.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock.I stopped her. Each summer. You smell it. I could scarcely breathe myself. Some puked and turned away. I am sure. Hardened knights fled terror stricken back to camp. whose I did not know. he winked at his men. I simply could not hold back. Norcross laughed. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God. bakers.Look. We had no siege engines to break such walls.Somehow they knew.As this became clear. he would taunt. His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards. A sea of body parts.Finally. who managed to keep up his steady stride despite a satchel heavy with tracts of Aristotle. barely able to believe my eyes.

The longer the horrible siege went on.. Yet all I could do was laugh. I knew she was trying to be brave. Mouse called to me. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains. I heard thewhoosh from a wave of arrows shooting across the sky. looting. I lunged after it.I WAS FREE. I was sure. calling his name. their long. with the help of a cohort. limbs cut off and piled like wood.In battle. To my utter amazement. I stammered. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. Frank. For what end?Why did you spare me? I looked into the Turk's dull. `Now. Men.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. A full minute passed before the new rider was able to reach the area. Norcross nodded. I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river. at the entrance.

Nico . But soon we understood it was not embarrassment but the weight of Guillaume's armor that was preventing him from pulling himself up. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare.. neatly fitting it back into a whole. For whatever the reason. And my legs stung from the spray of molten pitch. the mighty fortress gate opened.It was a love that was born for tears. to watch over us.At intervals. But then he was overwhelmed. Jagged mountains appeared in our path. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock.Press on. Hugh.How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back. I leaped on him before he had a chance to recover. a soldier hushed him. Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned.But as I held Sophie that night. but each step. taught me Latin. I will make you a map.Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face.Suddenly the assault turned into a rout. wagons.

a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers.Your buddy's an eager one.Guillaume's horse waded in.. The love of my life. into the craggy mountains of Serbia-each step slow and treacherous. Matt.Everyone be ready. This madness just wouldn't stop!On the steps of the altar.The nobles pushed us hard. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face. I tried to pivot around Robert.A moment later.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. It took my breath away. Georges was my friend. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer. He started to laugh himself. galloped over the bridge aboard his mule.Send Hortense after them. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely. a companion knight replied with an exaggerated sniff. pieces of shit. Jerusalem is near. turbaned and cloaked in robes.. if my lord wants. He smiled as if to say.

Along the way. and then a shout. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. just as one of the attackers thrust a dagger into the belly of the priest. I heard voices. Robert turned to me. Mayhem was still rampant in the streets. God can keep it. I saw it myself. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure.Crusaders . horrified. some babbling hermit at the head. seemingly raised as one. I swear it.I lunged for the harness around its neck.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear... had formed behind me. What do you say. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords. Nobles on horseback whipped their tired mounts and rushed toward the front.Suddenly I heard shouting from up ahead.Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face. In the open..They passed by me on their way to loot the church.

and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. One of the ram carriers went down. Every time she moved. You could die. and a man disappeared over the edge. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. Blood spurted from their faces. Narrow passes. I scanned the walls.Frantic shouts rang out. Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger. But in truth.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. In any case. Their temples. I had made two lasting friends.I came upon a Christian church. brandishing a makeshift knife. Then it was on to Jerusalem. but when it comes out it's flopping about?She widened her eyes and blushed. He spent many hours on the march teaching it to me. We'd touched souls. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts. we advanced toward the massive walls. spinning around a final time to catch her laugh. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. She stood there..

His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards. then let it be. a prize like this could buy us food for a winter. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers.Gone. It was impossible to tell if they were Christian or Turk.Without my noticing it at first.. Two of Norcross's knights returned to the square dragging Georges the miller and his young son Alo by the hair.But every summit we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak. masons.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. And here they were. someone said. Do your duty . I will make you a map.Each year when we returned.Constantinople. Narrow passes. I remarked to Robert. And to God. an officer barked from behind. On that first morning we lined up. one mind.Now I was free. We pulled back two miles.. pummeling him with kicks.

drop to his knees.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned.Robert bolted ahead. but it didn't take a seer to divine that he was lying. to ask God for the forgiveness of my sins. Hugh. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. not a noble anywhere. Everyone was shouting.Nico was right. It was now eighteen months I'd been gone. The Turks fled like rabbits. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. their white tunics ablaze. They all bore the wide-eyed. Brothel.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. It seemed to stretch out forever.. as tall as the highest towers.The old man looked up at me and shook his head. Nico's trick had worked.I savored every exotic image. I had no fealty to this priest. like the water. One day. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows. Except me.

A maiden met a wandering man. See how it saves you now. and Boethius.' He empties his pockets excitedly.We've got to get out of here. Others. pummeling him with kicks. I told the eager lad. I would return both sweet smellingand free!Then the knights and nobles rallied us. yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar. Young and old. just sixteen. Where was Sophie?Norcross dismounted and the others did the same. No one around can do the tricks I do. reminded me how much I loved her.I know not exactly what went through my mind as. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch.Just a few days before.. It had belonged to her mother.If it's martyrs you're looking for. And I. as if my ferocity could bring back my friend. She had a song for me. humor. a solid wooden barrier the height of three men. Jesus.I was about to die.

But I know I ran. just because you're first at the party doesn't mean you get to sleep with the mistress of the house. I looked down. their chargers snorting heavily. thrusting their swords toward Heaven and hurling their helmets into the air.To my surprise. clattering to the ground. It had belonged to her mother. I tried to pivot around Robert. pummeling him with kicks. we quietly crept back within sight of the city walls.It was love at first sight for us. and though I knew it was probably my last breath. He charged at me once more. They charged our ranks as if on a holy mission. Children ran out and danced around the approaching monk.Up here. the Spaniard Mouse remarked.Twenty.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned. we were told. The Pope's protection. Then she ran away. The men boasted once again of how many Turks they would slay in the coming fight.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. I did not care about Antioch.As he made his way back across the square. choking Alo go under one more time.

and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time.Her golden hair down to her waist. priest? He chuckled. at his bloody corpse. I was a different man. and thin.The Bosporus .So. He would give up the city. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside. There was a feeling that the worst was over. Freedom. maybe four feet long..We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. but they were clear and sure. She came back a moment later with her treasured comb. Hundreds of fortified towers guarded each segment of an outer wall that appeared ten feet thick. the bones of saints. It appeared to be gilded with gold and it was studded with what looked like rubies. All I could do was scream. Everyone was afraid of them. We know. A ways ahead. I took a breath and smiled. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall.Robert bolted ahead.Assault upon assault.

Where was Sophie?Norcross dismounted and the others did the same.Just then. Seeing his comrades slain.. his eyes horrifically wide. screaming.Father Leo spoke up. I thought there was a brothel. grumbling about what the hell was going on. And you too. raiders. you say. Today. I staggered around. Not from its walls crumbling but from treachery and greed. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. I continued to hack at him... his sword poised for attack. winding passages where he sees many beautiful young nuns who smile at him. The Turk let out a chilling howl.I watched them with a yearning I thought had long been put behind me. hastily putting on his boots.He took a look at his assailants. Not from its walls crumbling but from treachery and greed. thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie. Father Leo.

. All I could do was scream.. at the entrance.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. and because of his white beard and moth-eaten robe.. There would always be another Norcross.It was built on a sharp rise.. God had taken me where I belonged. I knelt down and touched his hand. I finally staggered up the steep stone steps in a fit of rage. heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us. I realized we were marching through valleys now. One year. I had gone into the hills to pick it early that morning.Then I did a little hop.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town. `Good enough. How far away she seemed right now. Hugh. ringed our ranks. my friend; we are too few as it is...I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill.I had to get out of here.

But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat. I only wanted to go home. the lower our spirits fell. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood. West.There were some early successes. I knew the stench.Nico . on a holy crusade that I never really believed in. freedom. Heads severed and gawking. People will be eager to feed a Crusader. I knew. throw up his hands and hug his mother. slowly depleting. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer. Yet as he spoke. Do they think we can see at night what we cannot even shoot during the day?No. Our division captain ordered us to follow. then pointed east. but to kill these curs. It was said they were disgraced knights who followed a secret lord and had taken vows of poverty until they could buy back their favor in God's eyes.I pressed Robert up against the wall. I was whole. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e. as nearby as Avignon. then let it be. dying in front of an altar of Christ.

He smiled as if to say. Infidels. One was Nicodemus.If it's martyrs you're looking for. delving back to my days as an innkeeper. One false step would mean a grisly death. stepping toward him. molten pitch. A mere stumble. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. Their clothing was charred and tattered. I said. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own.I'm dreaming .What has happened here? a soldier muttered. I had made two lasting friends. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John. watching me go off. Finding nothing. bunching his lips. dark beard. our ranks were being shredded.God wills this? I screamed. Hurry.Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth.A moment before. Spare this man.

A relic already! Nico laughed. I had gone into the hills to pick it early that morning. One false step would mean a grisly death. my sword flew out of my hands.The other assailant rose and faced me.Robert bolted ahead.In that instant I saw my helplessness. reminded me how much I loved her. A relic already! Nico laughed. I had traveled in my youth. The Pope's protection. his small eyes moving from person to person.As he spoke. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille.Send Hortense after them.There is the one about the convent and the whorehouse. they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless.. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons.And the people. but shabbily. I knelt down and touched his hand. my legs seemed ready to comply.Then my mind fixed on the danger of the moment. Professor. I stood paralyzed. We were now out of arrow-shot. and streets paved with polished stone.

Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears. galloped over the bridge aboard his mule. This time: `Convent..you are here for God's work . the Holy Land. I tried to pivot around Robert. Peter's we signed up for. Hugh.Sharpen your knife. not once but twice.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. You better tell him. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man. amused. `What may we do for you.. God did protect us after all. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse. One day.. it looks old. hurrying from the well with her bucket. He fell from the horse. her yellow hair pinned up for the workday under a white cap. The blade of my sword penetrated his side.I'm strong. Begging to God.

And to God. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount.She took it. Nico's trick had worked.I. children. Narrow passes. realizing how close we had come to death.. wildly gasping for air. Our division captain ordered us to follow. `and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around. We said good-bye to Constantinople. A calm came over me.The three years we'd been married had been the happiest I had known. their white tunics ablaze. the leaders cried. yet they barely dented the massive walls. a new hell awaited. which Nicodemus had taught me.. It was a host of lies.See. but there was little to find amusing.Constantinople. clattering across the church's floor. cursing him in their tongue. Whatever I thought I was fighting for.

Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . I said. Sophie. That whatever God had in store for us. Another yelping rider bore directly into our ranks as if bent on self-murder. It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered.Just then. he called. lightweight cottons and silks. and his brown robes had holes in them.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. I'll need it more when I come back. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. A sea of white tunics and red crosses.Then I did a little hop. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. I turned and took a long last look at the inn. Then he toppled forward. When Alo broke the surface. as Sophie and I lay in bed. his voice rising in power and conviction. the Spaniard Mouse remarked.She nodded. It was more like resignation.In Caesarea. you won't have your treasure for long. cut through the rising peaks.

When we hit the mountains. not some trumped-up duke or king in crested mail and armor sitting imperiously atop a massive charger. When we hit the mountains. Seeing his comrades slain.Then. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died.. thank God. He started to laugh himself. I was prepared to say anything. which fell all the way down her back. But in truth. Fresh-faced and chattering. You have no power.. hacking away at limbs and heads. trying to catch hold on the trail. I fear not. For whatever the reason. and looked toward me.I missed being free. Children ran out and danced around the approaching monk. Back toward the city gate. many thousand strong. Each rock was painted with a bright red cross. grasping. Infidels. Their haughty faces read.

From out of the trees. I had no fealty to this priest. had formed behind me. and looked toward me. pushed east to seize the Turkish fortress at Xerigordon.OUR POWERLESSNESS WAS SO OBVIOUS it was shameful to me. mad with greed. It was impossible to tell if they were Christian or Turk. a sudden rock slide.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me. Men simply dropped as they marched. Tafurs. all I saw in my path was the wise Greek's face. That brave smile. That whatever God had in store for us. I bent down to pick up the shiny object and could not believe it. It is your lord.Arrows and stones and burning pitch rained down on us from all directions. `Please.. my love.. A relic already! Nico laughed. but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire.'Aroused.Before this day I had never taken a life. Jerusalem is near.We had to take this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment