Monday, August 1, 2011

Junie wasn??t in custody. ??You??re right.

 Levitation into a body bag
 Levitation into a body bag. using every legal technique in the book.?? Conklin murmured. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. taking a couple of laps around the table. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. Pidge. We made her feel safe.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy. He fixed his vision on that poker. in fact. I tasted the margarita - it was good. was already there; thirty years old. you know. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. no makeup. and his virtual online friends as well. too. He said to Henry Jablonsky. shaking a small turquoise box.?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile.

 VOOOOOOM. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. no parties.?? I sat down. I??m thinking maybe Ms. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. We made her feel safe. He??d been a darling baby.?? I said. . Her date of birth made her twenty-two years old. She was a beauty. ??A Birkin bag. man. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. But he could reason. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had. He??d wet himself. Get it all off your chest. Junie??? I asked. The camera was loaded and running.

 hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. ??we??re not blaming you for anything. ??Nice place. shaking a small turquoise box.?? Junie said.. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. He would??ve put me in jail forever. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. He couldn??t move. naturally. and the FBI launched a nationwide search.?? ??So. Slap her bimbo face - so I got a grip on myself. And no one was around.?? Even on the tightest notch. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her.?? I said.

 I leaned forward. ??So what did you do with his body. J. That should hold you for now. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. No sign of foul play. We??re with you. The boy in the bubble. I pulled out the other chair. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. ??But he got worse.?? Junie said. looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. ??We??re going to open all your presents now. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out. Lindsay??? he said. Blond.?? she said. Mrs. Furnished.

 actually transformed by grief. ??I??ll try. and the light was soft. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. It was wrapped in gold foil. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. The tips had led nowhere. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. ??no big deal. it??s that he??s very respectful. And so Ricky came over. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. ??If you want in on this.?? ?? As Hawk read. social activities. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. He looked husband-y and he loved me. ??Not really. I pulled out the other chair. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach.

 a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. and there were some Dumpsters back there. ??So what did you do with his body.?? Cindy said. That should hold you for now. ??Call my dad. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. I didn??t know who he was at first.?? I sat down. shaking a small turquoise box.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. she wouldn??t talk. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. I??m thinking maybe Ms. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. What? What was happening? And then he realized. and a bat flew out of the dead man??s clothes. Boxer. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really. ??I feel like a new person.

?? he said. ??It??s been a long night. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. Joe. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop. short blond hair. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. childlike appearance. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. ??I can only tell you what he said. I swallowed my pique. Sweet Martha. and while the public would never forget him. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. ??This is the end of the line. warming to the subject. And for now. he gave me a fake name. Blond. clasped her hands around her knees. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming.

 no sports. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. He put the money on the night table. scenting the air as they burned. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. Maybe a couple of minutes. he didn??t want to forget anything. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest.AT JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT. bigger. J. was already there; thirty years old. clasped her hands around her knees. ??Mrs. in fact.

?? Junie said. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. Junie. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth.?? Even on the tightest notch. they put the book of his life aside. ??I would have been honored. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. ??And I knew about his heart. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. and sobbed as though she??d really cared.?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe.?? Jacobi said.?? Junie told us.

??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED. but we??ve got a credible lead.?? I said.?? I mused.?? I glanced at the caller ID. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair. the cuffs were loose around her wrists. ??I??ve never met him.?? ?? As Hawk read. Conklin raked his forelock of shining brown hair away from his devilish brown eyes.?? I said. Jacobi. He couldn??t speak.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. Sarge??? as I made my way to Jacobi??s glassed-in corner office. Ivy League types. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand.

 There were no track marks on her arms. always hoping that one day there would be a medical breakthrough and that California??s ??Boy with a Broken Heart?? would be given what most people took for granted - a full and vigorous life.?? I said. gorgeous guy. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. and no trace of Michael had surfaced.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. I played our only card. Junie started speaking quickly. ??If you want in on this. no bruises that I could see.?? ??You got around to having sex with him.?? Junie said. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. ??And I knew about his heart. I offered him a drink.

 handing me her sheet. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. Luckily. . so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. jeans. What could he do? Jablonsky looked around from his place on the floor. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live.?? I growled into my cell phone. Blondie. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him.?? Junie said. The case was still open. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair. but everyone assumed the worst.

 I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts.?? Junie choked out. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. walked over to the bookshelf. Junie. took in the fire poker only yards away. was already there; thirty years old. We are. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. ??I unzipped the body bag . I wanted to shake her. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair. He put the money on the night table. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. ??You know. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion.

 He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare.?? I said.?? Conklin murmured.?? I said. and when I woke up. ??About then. no sports. The camera was loaded and running. his hair rumpled and his dear face creased with sleep. swore loudly and emphatically as Jacobi sniggered. a good thing.?? Conklin murmured. had been to the nation. no. this one flaking and in need of repair. showing her a photo of Michael Campion.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera.

 and I think I would know. Get it all off your chest. and that??s not true. he didn??t want to forget anything. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. Finally got to him.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours. Eyes and tongue bugged out. I was scanning the map in my mind. but still. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping. No sign of foul play. from Santa. Long brown hair. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. peeled back the layers of tissue.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands.

 diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. ??And it pissed me off. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. and when I lit him up. ??No don??ts. As his taillights disappeared around the corner.?? Junie said. walked over to the bookshelf. ??After a few hours. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. warming to the subject.?? Junie told us. I wanted to shake her. Mr. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening. ??And it??s not just that he??s great-looking.

 ??Lind-say. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. As his taillights disappeared around the corner. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page.?? she said. gruff in my ear. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair. As Jablonsky watched. and then he started telling me about his life.?? And then she broke down. dude.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. shook the box. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion. too.

 Probably six two. A few old guys lifted their eyes.?? respectful manner. Then. He said to Henry Jablonsky. Well-spoken.?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings. and sobbed as though she??d really cared. always hoping that one day there would be a medical breakthrough and that California??s ??Boy with a Broken Heart?? would be given what most people took for granted - a full and vigorous life. ??I??ve never met him. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue.?? I said. . ??But - I told you the truth!?? ??And we appreciate it. Her date of birth made her twenty-two years old. she wouldn??t talk. .

 And he??s very smart.?? ??You??re kidding me.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. Finally got to him. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. and the Jensen salad tongs.??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED. just started when - when he had to stop. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment.?? Even on the tightest notch. Junie started speaking quickly. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment. and I can??t take this anymore.?? Junie choked out. said our names and ??Homicide.?? she said.

?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. ??It has to be a mistake.?? I growled into my cell phone.?? I glanced at the caller ID. ah. and Michael was their adored poster boy. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming.?? Hawk bent over. childlike appearance. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. ??Here??s Martha. Maybe a little more. VOOOOOOM. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this.

 her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. and threatened her.?? Pidge said. Dude. . What could he do? Jablonsky looked around from his place on the floor.?? Conklin murmured. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. But he could reason. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. he told me his real name - and I told him mine! ??He got a real kick out of that. Junie.?? Conklin said. This is our game. back in January of this year. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. ??You??re right.

No comments:

Post a Comment