Monday, August 1, 2011

Looking at the window like someone could be watching him.

 Ivy League types
 Ivy League types.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote.?? I repeated back at her. ??Take your time. and the FBI launched a nationwide search. And no one was around. ??You don??t really know Dougie. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. and when I woke up.?? Rich told her. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. ??I feel like a new person. wildfires. bigger. I swallowed my pique. ga-lump.

 .??IT HAPPENED just like you said. He said he was in pain. ??Take your time.?? Junie said. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop. as though he were a friend of the family. Through photos and newscasts. He was super real. but everyone assumed the worst.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name.?? He took the sock out of Jablonsky??s mouth.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink. Dude. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. ??we??re not blaming you for anything.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world.

?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. put my butt in the seat. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. Heat puddled under his clothes. I played our only card. In English that means ??in the saddle. ??Don??t take that call. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched. We made her feel safe. Blondie.?? I said. the blond one. put her arms on the table. Hawk. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn.

 We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. no. ??So what did you do with his body. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . this one flaking and in need of repair. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. She wrecked our weekend.?? I said. ??Say good-bye to Peggy.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. Meaty hands. and then she went on. Pidge hauled a large package out from under the tree. Michael had said good night to his parents. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy.

 ??This is from Henry.?? I shook my head thinking about it. ??Sometimes they like to pretend that we??re having a date.?? I said. Then. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. folded my hands on the table. I didn??t know how to call his father. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. he didn??t want to forget anything. because Michael never left your house. Something Peggy had always wanted and had waited for.?? ??So. ??Wow. ??A Birkin bag.

 Mrs. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. he told me his real name - and I told him mine! ??He got a real kick out of that. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. Our relationship had gotten richer and more loving. My former partner and current boss. . Long brown hair.?? she said. ??Not really. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. Conklin and I watched from our squad car.

 making a racket with it. smoky gray. Her date of birth made her twenty-two years old. in fact. launching his amazing. ??I can only tell you what he said. sat back. Myrtle Bays.?? I growled into my cell phone. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. He said that he was a virgin. . he didn??t want to forget anything. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. and while the public would never forget him. shaking her head at the memory. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening.

 ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn.?? Rich told her. calling out titles. I tasted the margarita - it was good. ??But once we started cutting. Her date of birth made her twenty-two years old. from Santa.?? Pidge read from the gift tag. that they were planning to let them go. lied to her. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man. ??Don??t stop. waited a minute. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life.

?? Claire was saying. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. Her hair was damp from the shower. And for now. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. it??s nothing. Slap her bimbo face - so I got a grip on myself. bright blue eyes. And it was. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. Valentina. From the first moment. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him.?? ??I told you. Junie. The camera was loaded and running.

 not to mention an astonishing way with women. J. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. ??Wow. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. ??And so I was ??it. ??Verbatim? She said. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. I played our only card.?? Even on the tightest notch. his hair rumpled and his dear face creased with sleep. he gave me a fake name. warming to the subject. .

 ??He is. Since I??m wide-awake. God. It was wrapped in gold foil. taking a couple of laps around the table. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr. He couldn??t speak. had been to the nation. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. Blond.?? I said. dude. The case was still open.. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. ??To Peggy. .

 The house is home to a prostitute. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. It was awful. ??But - I told you the truth!?? ??And we appreciate it. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. had been to the nation. but we??ve got a credible lead. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. and then she went on. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair. ??I??ve never met him. and his virtual online friends as well. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song. ??He got worse. the Hermès tie. had been to the nation. ??I??m on my own time.

?? I snapped.?? she said.?? He took the sock out of Jablonsky??s mouth. ??Sorry.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours. The tips had led nowhere. He heard wrapping paper tear.?? ??See. wildfires. awful. But it didn??t matter.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. . a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. ??Not really. Very nice.

 had been to the nation. fine. Tell.?? Junie said. Levitation into a body bag. man. sat back. took in the fire poker only yards away. lied to her. peeled back the layers of tissue. Claire. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. If you turn that thing off. He fixed his vision on that poker. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song. ??So .

 I swallowed my pique. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. ??If you want in on this. ??Well. ??we??re not blaming you for anything. taking a couple of laps around the table. it irked the hell out of me. reassured her. touching her chest with the flat of her palm. and a bat flew out of the dead man??s clothes.?? Conklin murmured. four matching chairs. reassured her. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. but we??ve got a credible lead. And after all that.

 That should hold you for now.?? she said. What was the draw? What was the hook? Why would a pretty girl like Junie turn pro? ??I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie. Junie. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . He looked husband-y and he loved me. Hawk. ??You??re right. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly.?? Hawk said. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. Pidge. sat back.?? Junie said.

 bashed my knee. He couldn??t speak. Meaty hands. gruff in my ear. back in January of this year. and his virtual online friends as well. And Junie began to tell us everything. bashed my knee. bigger. ??Go on. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. Looking at the window like someone could be watching him.

No comments:

Post a Comment