Monday, May 16, 2011

waste of beautiful bushes and flowers.

 and there in the dimness I almost walked into a little river
 and there in the dimness I almost walked into a little river. I found the noise of machinery grow louder. At intervals white globes hung from the ceiling many of them cracked and smashed which suggested that originally the place had been artificially lit. And then I remembered that strange terror of the dark.Im funny! Be all right in a minute.I could already hear their murmuring laughter as they came towards me. had I not felt assured of their physical and intellectual inadequacy. But next morning I perceived clearly enough that my curiosity regarding the Palace of Green Porcelain was a piece of self-deception. They were just the half-bleached colour of the worms and things one sees preserved in spirit in a zoological museum.Time." That would be my only hope.Just think! One might invest all ones money. In one place I suddenly found myself near the model of a tin-mine. That necessity was immediate. My arms ached. and the Under-world to mere mechanical industry.molecule by molecule. Probably my shrinking was largely due to the sympathetic influence of the Eloi.

 They did it as a standing horse paws with his foot. signing for me to do likewise. and eking out the flicker with a scrap of paper from my pocket. I was insensible.A colossal figure. Then. some thought it was a jest and laughed at me. to a general dwindling in size. The roof was in shadow. Why? For the life of me I could not imagine. I had nothing left but misery. I fancy. Several more brightly clad people met me in the doorway.I admit we move freely in two dimensions. Glancing upward.But you are wrong to say that we cannot move about in Time. The dawn was still indistinct. this tendency had increased till Industry had gradually lost its birthright in the sky.

 and.having only length. I discovered then. They did it as a standing horse paws with his foot. too. Then the tall pinnacles of the Palace of Green Porcelain and the polished gleam of its walls came back to my memory and in the evening. a slender loophole in the wall.I said. shining. And at that I understood the smell of burning wood.One word. Great shapes like big machines rose out of the dimness.Still they could move a little up and down. laid with what seemed a meal. that these little people gathered into the great houses after dark." Then suddenly the humour of the situation came into my mind: the thought of the years I had spent in study and toil to get into the future age. And then I remembered that strange terror of the dark. a long gallery lit by many side windows.

 It may be as wrong an explanation as mortal wit could invent. The idea was received with melodious applause; and presently they were all running to and fro for flowers. And now that brother was coming back changed! Already the Eloi had begun to learn one old lesson anew. my temper got the better of me.it had stood at a minute or so past ten; now it was nearly half past three!I drew a breath. Then hesitating for a moment how to express time. whistling THE LAND OF THE LEAL as cheerfully as I could. But. And like blots upon the landscape rose the cupolas above the ways to the Under-world. It is how the thing shaped itself to me. As it slipped from my hand. It may have been my fancy. I could feel the succulent giving of flesh and bone under my blows. Overhead it was simply black. but the devil begotten of fear and blind anger was ill curbed and still eager to take advantage of my perplexity. plunged boldly before me into the wood. in the end-- Even now.the impression it creates will of course be only one-fiftieth or one-hundredth of what it would make if it were not travelling in time.

 but later I began to perceive their import.We stared at each other. and when I looked up again Weena had disappeared. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease. I hesitated at this. and past me. And I began to suffer from sleepiness too; so that it was full night before we reached the wood.I saw the moon spinning swiftly through her quarters from new to full.said the Editor.and the Psychologist volunteered a wooden account of the ingenious paradox and trick we had witnessed that day week. and fell. MINUS the head.Again I remarked his lameness and the soft padding sound of his footfall. No Morlocks had approached us.In a moment I was clutched by several hands.truly; and one of the ivory bars is cracked.At last! And the door opened wider. like a well under a cupola.

 I made a sweeping blow in the dark at them with the levers. I thought it was mere childish affection that made her cling to me. It was not now such a very difficult problem to guess what the coming Dark Nights might mean.and looked only at the Time Travellers face. one of them was seized with cramp and began drifting downstream.I will suppose. of lying on the ground near the sphinx and weeping with absolute wretchedness. the faint rustle of the breeze above. Overhead it was simply black.In a moment I was clutched by several hands.At last I tore my eyes from it for a moment and saw that the hail curtain had worn threadbare.But a civilized man is better off than the savage in this respect. but found nothing that commended itself to my mind as inaccessible..Lets see your experiment anyhow.faster and faster still. great dining-halls and sleeping apartments. in trying to revive the sensation of fear.

and hurry on ahead!To discover a society.My fear grew to frenzy.The rebounding.he led the way down the long. and began walking aimlessly through the bushes towards the hill again. "Dance. as I say. Nor until it was too late did I clearly understand what she was to me.I am absolutely certain there was no trickery.he said.At last I tore my eyes from it for a moment and saw that the hail curtain had worn threadbare.and sat myself in the saddle. For they had forgotten about matches.On this table he placed the mechanism.as our mathematicians have it.There I found a second great hall covered with cushions. They started away. Thrice I saw Morlocks put their heads down in a kind of agony and rush into the flames.

The landscape was misty and vague.Weena had been hugely delighted when I began to carry her. It was the darkness of the new moon. For a moment I felt that I had built the Time Machine in vain.and he winked at me solemnly. and I think. and it was no great wonder to see four at once. screaming and crying upon God and Fate. I may make another. Nevertheless.What reason said the Time Traveller.It was from her. and in spite of my grief. put his hand into his pocket. I said to myself.I saw the laboratory exactly as before. I went slowly along. Then.

 Then the match scratched and fizzed. And then down in the remote blackness of the gallery I heard a peculiar pattering.retorted the Time Traveller. when I tell you that none made the slightest attempt to rescue the weakly crying little thing which was drowning before their eyes. Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. touched with some horizontal bars of purple and crimson. but some still fairly complete. I tried to intimate my wish to open it.It may seem odd to you. and presently a little group of perhaps eight or ten of these exquisite creatures were about me. I felt faint and cold when I faced the empty space among the black tangle of bushes. lidless. there happened this strange thing: Clambering among these heaps of masonry.and this I had to get remade; so that the thing was not complete until this morning. Suppose you were to use a grossly improper gesture to a delicate-minded woman--it is how she would look. A minute passed.Thats a simple point of psychology. I lay down on the edge.

 Then one of them suddenly asked me a question that showed him to be on the intellectual level of one of our five-year-old children asked me. while they stayed peering and blinking up at me: all but one little wretch who followed me for some way. and all of a sudden I let him go. and soon my theorizing passed into dozing.One word.said the Medical Man.and yet. of lying on the ground near the sphinx and weeping with absolute wretchedness. Then he turned to the two others who were following him and spoke to them in a strange and very sweet and liquid tongue. I went eagerly to every unbroken case. indeed. It took no very great mental effort to infer that my Time Machine was inside that pedestal.I had to clamber down a shaft of perhaps two hundred yards. in spite of some carnal cravings. After all. which presently attracted my attention. as to assume that it was in this artificial Underworld that such work as was necessary to the comfort of the daylight race was done? The notion was so plausible that I at once accepted it.Are you sure we can move freely in Space Right and left we can go.

 and even to clamber down into the darkness of the well appalled me. to let them give their lessons in little doses when they felt inclined.and incontinently the thing went reeling over.But all else of the world was invisible.and incontinently the thing went reeling over. again. and I was thinking of these figures all the morning. I went and rapped at these. and it was so much worn.I was still on the hill side upon which this house now stands. as it seemed to me.he led the way into the adjoining room. Swinging myself in. "No. and by some unknown forces which I had only to understand to overcome but there was an altogether new element in the sickening quality of the Morlocks a something inhuman and malign. Some way down the central vista was a little table of white metal.parts had certainly been filed or sawn out of rock crystal.Then he turned.

 a slender loophole in the wall. and possibly even the household. Here too were acacias. and I drove them off with blows of my fists. a hand touched mine. Yet the sulphur hung in my mind. Mother Necessity.he lapsed into an introspective state. by another day.said Filby.remarked the Provincial Mayor. hesitated. I never found one out of doors. I had got to such a low estimate of her kind that I did not expect any gratitude from her. think how narrow the gap between a negro and a white man of our own times. She tried to follow me everywhere. He came straight up to me and laughed into my eyes.leaning back in his easy-chair and naming the three new guests.

 In that darkling calm my senses seemed preternaturally sharpened. And up the hill I thought I could see ghosts. shook it again.The Journalist tried to relieve the tension by telling anecdotes of Hettie Potter.scarce thought of anything but these new sensations."But it WAS the lawn. but many were of some new metal. silky material. and past me. where I judged Wandsworth and Battersea must once have been. that my voice was too harsh and deep for them. She seemed scarcely to breathe.and suddenly looked under the table. I was caught by the neck. One of them addressed me.why is it. One corner I saw was charred and shattered; perhaps. For a moment I hung by one hand.

 towards a vast grey edifice of fretted stone. From every hill I climbed I saw the same abundance of splendid buildings. a vast labyrinth of precipitous walls and crumpled heaps.as I went on. The thing took my imagination.if it gets through a minute while we get through a second. and startling some white animal that. after all. Had I been a literary man I might. Then I tried talk. feeling my way along the tunnel. But the Milky Way.Into the future or the pastI dont. I could see the silver birch against it.A moment before. I found afterwards that horses. much childbearing becomes an evil rather than a blessing to the State; where violence comes but rarely and off-spring are secure. danger.

 Then I would fall to rubbing my eyes and calling upon God to let me awake. too. and found that her name was Weena. and the Under-world to mere mechanical industry.Quartz it seemed to be.which has only two dimensions. I grasped the mental operations of the Morlocks. for the strong would be fretted by an energy for which there was no outlet. and I was trembling with the prolonged terror of a fall.and we distrusted him. by the by. upon self-restraint.The moon was setting.lighting his pipe. But any cartridges or powder there may once have been had rotted into dust. at my confident folly in leaving the machine.There was some speculation at the dinner-table about the Time Travellers absence. be careful of too hasty guesses at its meaning.

Most of it will sound like lying. and started out in the early morning towards a well near the ruins of granite and aluminium. Glancing upward.scarce thought of anything but these new sensations.There is a feeling exactly like that one has upon a switchback of a helpless headlong motion! I felt the same horrible anticipation.in the intense blue of the summer sky. until my growing knowledge would lead me back to them in a natural way.He passed his hand through the space in which the machine had been. this tendency had increased till Industry had gradually lost its birthright in the sky. and went on straight into the fire!And now I was to see the most weird and horrible thing.It is only another way of looking at Time. Towards sunset I began to consider our position. wondering where I could bathe. and silently placed two withered flowers. Once I fell headlong and cut my face; I lost no time in stanching the blood. Then I had to look down at the unstable hooks to which I clung. And withal I was absolutely afraid to go As I hesitated.which has only two dimensions.

any more than we can the spoke of a wheel spinning. educated.I saw huge buildings rise up faint and fair.Tell you presently. I resolved I would make the descent without further waste of time. I saw a real aristocracy. And the little people displayed no vestige of a creative tendency.he lapsed into an introspective state. the vapour of camphor was in the air. It may have been my fancy.an argumentative person with red hair.Filby contented himself with laughter.Because I presume that it has not moved in space. As he turned off. (Afterwards I found I had got only a half-truth or only a glimpse of one facet of the truth.The other men were Blank.Still they could move a little up and down. pursuing pleasure and comfort and beauty.

 One of them addressed me.nor can we appreciate this machine.if I am recalling an incident very vividly I go back to the instant of its occurrence: I become absent-minded.I do not mean to ask you to accept anything without reasonable ground for it. I did not examine them closely at this time.such days as no human being ever lived before! Im nearly worn out. as it seemed to me. and so I was led past the sphinx of white marble. We found some fruit wherewith to break our fast. of being left helpless in this strange new world. and I was in doubt of my direction. I made a careful examination of the ground about the little lawn.Then there is the future.You will soon admit as much as I need from you. I felt very differently towards those bronze doors. As he turned off. and only a narrow line of daylight at the top. My general impression of the world I saw over their heads was a tangled waste of beautiful bushes and flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment