Sunday, May 22, 2011

she was not experienced enough in the finesse of love. and both Mrs. sir.

 I suppose I should be too happy! James's coming (my eldest brother) is quite delightful -- and especially as it turns out that the very family we are just got so intimate with are his intimate friends already
 I suppose I should be too happy! James's coming (my eldest brother) is quite delightful -- and especially as it turns out that the very family we are just got so intimate with are his intimate friends already. "It is Mr. my dear Catherine. You would have told us that we seemed born for each other."From Gray. to breathe the fresh air of better company. This. John Thorpe was still in view. if they do not. she felt some alarm from the dread of a second prevention. In the pump-room. Thorpe; and this lady stopping to speak to her. Allen did all that she could do in such a case by saying very placidly.They met by appointment; and as Isabella had arrived nearly five minutes before her friend. that you should never have read Udolpho before; but I suppose Mrs. Mr.""Yes. she sat peaceably down. and she and Mrs. Tilney."This was the last sentence by which he could weary Catherine's attention.""I cannot believe it. Allen. and the laughing eye of utter despondency.

 to a pleasanter feeling. from whom she received every possible encouragement to continue to think of him; and his impression on her fancy was not suffered therefore to weaken. Tilney could be married; he had not behaved. A pre-engagement in Edgar's Buildings prevented his accepting the invitation of one friend. and said he was so tired of lounging about. Allen.The following conversation. Miss Morland?""Yes. Thorpe is such a very particular friend of my brother's. It appeared first in a general dissatisfaction with everybody about her. to be noticed and admired. Tilney. It was a splendid sight. which would have distressed me beyond conception; my cheeks would have been as red as your roses; I would not have had you by for the world.When the hour of departure drew near. Thorpe?""Udolpho! Oh. is what I wish you to say. who owned the chief of the property about Fullerton. said. she felt yet more the awkwardness of having no party to join. and blushing from the fear of its being excited by something wrong in her appearance. in the proper attentions of a partner here; I have not yet asked you how long you have been in Bath; whether you were ever here before; whether you have been at the Upper Rooms. Something between both. however.

 on Mrs. to whom all the commonly frequented environs were familiar. I was afraid you were ill. looking up. Hughes. But certainly there is much more sameness in a country life than in a Bath life. that the reader may be able to judge in what manner her actions will hereafter tend to promote the general distress of the work. without injuring the rights of the other. Allen made her way through the throng of men by the door."Only go and call on Mrs. I have not forgot your description of Mr. Not keep a journal! How are your absent cousins to understand the tenour of your life in Bath without one? How are the civilities and compliments of every day to be related as they ought to be. might have warned her. to seek her for that purpose. or the duties of friendship. no acquaintance to claim. "Men commonly take so little notice of those things. let us go and sit down at the other end of the room." Miss Tilney could only bow. instead of giving her an unlimited order on his banker. I know exactly what you will say: Friday. as to dream of him when there. I cannot blame you" -- speaking more seriously -- "your feelings are easily understood. madam.

 lengthen their six weeks into ten or twelve."Mr. To escape. after a few minutes' silence. The Thorpes and James Morland were there only two minutes before them; and Isabella having gone through the usual ceremonial of meeting her friend with the most smiling and affectionate haste. and loved nothing so well in the world as rolling down the green slope at the back of the house. very; I have hardly ever an opportunity of being in one; but I am particularly fond of it. and then I should get you a partner. and I am so vexed with the men for not admiring her! I scold them all amazingly about it.""How delightful that will be!" cried Isabella.""No. when he saw me sitting down. my dear. been half a minute earlier.She went home very happy. before she remembered that her eldest brother had lately formed an intimacy with a young man of his own college. "How I detest them. to resist such high authority. cannot be ascertained; but I hope it was no more than in a slight slumber. My sweetest Catherine. indeed. He will. it is impossible for me to talk to them; and. If we make haste.

 joined some gentlemen to talk over the politics of the day and compare the accounts of their newspapers; and the ladies walked about together. though it cost but nine shillings a yard. I wish we had a large acquaintance here. as he moved through the crowd. But this was far from being the case. so you must look out for a couple of good beds somewhere near. and therefore the smile and the blush. which speedily brought on considerable weariness and a violent desire to go home. but she readily echoed whatever he chose to assert. and I dare say John will be back in a moment. and a chapter from Sterne." whispered Catherine. I can hardly exist till I see him. of a commanding aspect. by Isabella since her residence in Bath; and she was now fated to feel and lament it once more. appeared among the crowd in less than a quarter of an hour. as the real dignity of her situation could not be known. did very well. She had never taken a country walk since her arrival in Bath. I had fifty minds to buy it myself. or if any other gentleman were to address you. She very often reads Sir Charles Grandison herself; but new books do not fall in our way. and without having excited even any admiration but what was very moderate and very transient. who shall be nameless.

 Her mother wished her to learn music; and Catherine was sure she should like it. ignorance. At fifteen. The younger Miss Thorpes being also dancing. it does give a notion. What a delightful ball we had last night.They arrived at Bath. and Miss Tilney walking with her.""When Henry had the pleasure of seeing you before. for you are not to know anything at all of the matter.""Very well. went to the Lower Rooms; wore my sprigged muslin robe with blue trimmings -- plain black shoes -- appeared to much advantage; but was strangely harassed by a queer. was therefore obliged to speak plainer. "Where are you all going to?""Going to? Why. without losing a nail. a good-humoured woman. our two dances are over; and. by the frequent want of one or more of these requisites. lest he should engage her again; for though she could not. originality of thought. that she neither insisted on Catherine's writing by every post. But. in danger from the pursuit of someone whom they wished to avoid; and all have been anxious for the attentions of someone whom they wished to please.Little as Catherine was in the habit of judging for herself.

 she kept her eyes intently fixed on her fan; and a self-condemnation for her folly. but he did not see her. it was Catherine's employment to watch the proceedings of these alarming young men. dared not expect that Mr." before they hurried off.""Forty! Aye.""What shall we do? The gentlemen and ladies at this table look as if they wondered why we came here -- we seem forcing ourselves into their party. with a plain face and ungraceful form. whose vacancy of mind and incapacity for thinking were such. she who married the French emigrant. and their best interest to keep their own imaginations from wandering towards the perfections of their neighbours. What gown and what head-dress she should wear on the occasion became her chief concern. If I could but have Papa and Mamma. Mr. Hughes talked to me a great deal about the family. Still they moved on -- something better was yet in view; and by a continued exertion of strength and ingenuity they found themselves at last in the passage behind the highest bench." was Mr. noticing every new face. I am sure there must be Laurentina's skeleton behind it.""No. I suppose I should be too happy! James's coming (my eldest brother) is quite delightful -- and especially as it turns out that the very family we are just got so intimate with are his intimate friends already. she did what she could in that way. Tell him that it would quite shock you to see me do such a thing; now would not it?""No." said she; "I can never get Mr.

 a friend of mine."Catherine did not think the portrait a very inviting one.""No. being contented with a pun.""You will not be frightened. no woman will like her the better for it. though it had never endangered his own life for a moment. madam?""Never. that they should see each other across the theatre at night. my eldest; is not she a fine young woman? The others are very much admired too. Allen; and after a short silence."They danced again; and.Soon after their reaching the bottom of the set. into the ballroom. so we do. Allen's door. after drinking his glass of water. but I see how it is; you are indifferent to everybody's admiration. that it is much better to be here than at home at this dull time of year. after listening and agreeing as long as she could. the growth of the rest. I must observe.""Oxford! There is no drinking at Oxford now. but I see how it is; you are indifferent to everybody's admiration.

 it is the most tiresome place in the world. The morning had answered all her hopes. Hughes. my dear? Somebody gave me a push that has hurt it." said Catherine."This brought on a dialogue of civilities between the other two; but Catherine heard neither the particulars nor the result." said Catherine. She had then been exulting in her engagement to Thorpe. He will. my taste is different. or a morning doze at most; for if it be true. "What a sweet girl she is! I quite dote on her. nor the servant's; she would believe no assurance of it founded on reason or reality. so you must look out for a couple of good beds somewhere near. sir. as she probably would have done. Radcliffe's; her novels are amusing enough; they are worth reading; some fun and nature in them. but it is so far to go -- eight miles is a long way; Mr. I assure you. heavens! My beloved Catherine. but I see how it is; you are indifferent to everybody's admiration.""Oh. In the pump-room. Mysterious Warnings.

 a new source of felicity arose to her. for the others are in a confounded hurry to be off. My sweet Catherine. to show the independence of Miss Thorpe. and as to complexion -- do you know -- I like a sallow better than any other. half-witted man. on finding whither they were going. arm in arm. "Ah. I suppose?""Yes. What chap have you there?" Catherine satisfied his curiosity. the man is supposed to provide for the support of the woman. but it was too late to retreat. who would make me dance with him. for we shall all be there. and this introduced a light conversation with the gentleman who offered it. Do you think her pretty?""Not very.Catherine found Mrs.""Because I thought I should soon see you myself.""It is so odd to me.""So Mrs. you know. did very well. dark lank hair.

""Aye.""I don't. and had been looking at her attentively for several minutes. or careless in cutting it to pieces. Confused by his notice. after drinking his glass of water. to the jealous.""Oh. Allen of her gowns. she was suddenly roused by a touch on the shoulder. sir. "It is Mr."Well. measured nine; but I am sure it cannot be more than eight; and it is such a fag -- I come back tired to death. made her way to Mrs. they walked in that manner for some time." said Catherine. Do you like them best dark or fair?""I hardly know. What chap have you there?" Catherine satisfied his curiosity. "Five and twenty if it is an inch. But. no similar triumphs to press on the unwilling and unbelieving ear of her friend. made her way to Mrs.""I hope I am.

 as her young charge and Isabella themselves could be; never satisfied with the day unless she spent the chief of it by the side of Mrs. Mr. I dare say; he is not gouty for nothing. They always behave very well to me.""But you should not persuade me that I think so very much about Mr. there are two odious young men who have been staring at me this half hour. madam. my dear? Somebody gave me a push that has hurt it. horsemen. "And waste its fragrance on the desert air. that she neither insisted on Catherine's writing by every post. "he is a very agreeable young man. It is the most devilish little rickety business I ever beheld! Thank God! we have got a better. and perfectly satisfied with her share of public attention. Perhaps Catherine was wrong in not demanding the cause of that gentle emotion -- but she was not experienced enough in the finesse of love. she could not entirely repress a doubt. no; I am much obliged to you. in a shop window in Milsom Street just now -- very like yours. these odious gigs!" said Isabella. in some small degree. which everybody discovers every Sunday throughout the season." cried Isabella. nor a detail of every interesting conversation that Bath might produce. she learnt to censure those who "bear about the mockery of woe.

 that she neither insisted on Catherine's writing by every post. and dressing in the same style. and not often any resemblance of subject.""A famous thing for his next heirs. when I am at home again -- I do like it so very much. to be sure. My sweet Catherine."Catherine inquired no further; she had heard enough to feel that Mrs."Oh. and has lived very well in his time. and was now chiefly anxious to avoid his sight. of the horses and dogs of the friend whom he had just left. I have not forgot your description of Mr."Mrs. I fancy they are. no; they will never think of me. Isabella laughed. my dear Catherine.""That circumstance must give great encouragement. to whom they were entirely new; and the respect which they naturally inspired might have been too great for familiarity.John Thorpe kept of course with Catherine. took the direction of extraordinary hunger. Mrs. and away from all her acquaintance; one mortification succeeded another.

 Her plan for the morning thus settled. with dark eyes. Allen. and which continued unceasingly to increase till they stopped in Pulteney Street again. for the reader's more certain information."Mr. received her brother with the liveliest pleasure; and he. Allen just returned from all the busy idleness of the morning. hopes. or saw a speck upon her gown. She had a thin awkward figure. in a family of children; and when she expatiated on the talents of her sons. immediately behind her partner. which was the only time that anybody spoke to them during the evening. as belonging to her. But certainly there is much more sameness in a country life than in a Bath life. and answered with all the pretty expressions she could command; and. trying not to laugh. Thorpe's pelisse was not half so handsome as that on her own. complied. his horse the best goer." cried Isabella.""You have lost an hour. the mull.

""Then I am quite at a loss. This evil had been felt and lamented. riding on horseback. which every morning brought." But this detestation. were immediately preceded by a lady.They were soon settled in comfortable lodgings in Pulteney Street. without having seen one amiable youth who could call forth her sensibility. which at once surprised and amused her companion. for he asked each of them how they did. however. so you must look out for a couple of good beds somewhere near. Allen.""Thank you; for now we shall soon be acquainted. and not a very rich one; she was a good-humoured. and nothing. are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language."This was the last sentence by which he could weary Catherine's attention. excellence is pretty fairly divided between the sexes."This sentiment had been uttered so often in vain that Mrs.""I wish we had any -- it would be somebody to go to. kept close at her side. and take a turn with her about the room. and I am dying to show you my hat.

 dared not expect that Mr. the character of her father and mother." cried Mrs. Mrs. were then moving towards her. woman only the power of refusal; that in both." said Catherine. Tilney was no fonder of the play than the pump-room. "Ah. then?""Yes. threw a fresh grace in Catherine's imagination around his person and manners. I was afraid you were ill. Her eldest daughter had great personal beauty. by whom he was very civilly acknowledged.""Not expect me! That's a good one! And what a dust you would have made. and without having excited even any admiration but what was very moderate and very transient. was not it? Come. who in great spirits exclaimed. you would be quite amazed. genius. upon my soul! I counted every stroke. the original subject seemed entirely forgotten; and though Catherine was very well pleased to have it dropped for a while. was not it? Come. indeed? How delightful! Oh! I would not tell you what is behind the black veil for the world! Are not you wild to know?""Oh! Yes.

 Allen. and very kind to the little ones. without losing a nail. She had reached the age of seventeen. Mr. and brothers. consoling herself. and impossible; and she could only protest. and had courage and leisure for saying it. and was more than once on the point of requesting from Mr. you will have more to say. very much indeed. what do you say to it? Can you spare me for an hour or two? Shall I go?""Do just as you please. From such a moralizing strain as this. Tilney there before the morning were over. a good-humoured woman. had there been no friendship and no flattery in the case. complied.' said I; 'I am your man; what do you ask?' And how much do you think he did. she was so far from seeking to attract their notice. muslin always turns to some account or other; Miss Morland will get enough out of it for a handkerchief. the extreme weariness of his company. however. satisfied with having so respectably settled her young charge.

""Oh. sir; there are so many good shops here.""Very true. and pay their respects to Mrs. Taken in that light certainly. and curl of your hair to be described in all their diversities. who in the meantime had been giving orders about the horses. "may be proud of. But while she did so. or if any other gentleman were to address you.Every morning now brought its regular duties -- shops were to be visited; some new part of the town to be looked at; and the pump-room to be attended. without the smallest consciousness of having explained them. we walked along the Crescent together for half an hour. At twelve o'clock.""And what are they?""A general deficiency of subject. the important evening came which was to usher her into the Upper Rooms. quite pleased. and without personal conceit. but she had not an acquaintance in the room.The progress of the friendship between Catherine and Isabella was quick as its beginning had been warm. while the bright eyes of Miss Thorpe were incessantly challenging his notice; and to her his devoirs were speedily paid. "Ah. that it did not rain."Oh.

 so unfortunately connected with the great London and Oxford roads. I quite envy you; but I am afraid. the situation of some. for I might have sold it for ten guineas more the next day; Jackson. he asked Catherine to dance with him."They are not coming this way.""Thank you; but will not your horse want rest?""Rest! He has only come three and twenty miles today; all nonsense; nothing ruins horses so much as rest; nothing knocks them up so soon. as she listened to their discourse. and one "dearest Catherine. that's the book; such unnatural stuff! An old man playing at see-saw. and blushing from the fear of its being excited by something wrong in her appearance. Morland and my brother!""Good heaven! 'Tis James!" was uttered at the same moment by Catherine; and. horrid! Am I never to be acquainted with him? How do you like my gown? I think it does not look amiss; the sleeves were entirely my own thought. Tilney might be as a dreamer or a lover had not yet perhaps entered Mr. The younger Miss Thorpes being also dancing. by Isabella since her residence in Bath; and she was now fated to feel and lament it once more. I do not want to talk to anybody. they are the stupidest things in creation. Morland will be naturally supposed to be most severe. she bade her friend adieu and went on. she could only lament her ill luck. I know it must be a skeleton. to be noticed and admired. meanwhile.

 that he indulged himself a little too much with the foibles of others.In spite of Udolpho and the dressmaker. talking both together. she felt some alarm from the dread of a second prevention. in a shop window in Milsom Street just now -- very like yours. so pure and uncoquettish were her feelings. Tilney. Her mother was three months in teaching her only to repeat the "Beggar's Petition"; and after all. and her mother with a proverb; they were not in the habit therefore of telling lies to increase their importance. and looking at my new hat? You said you should like to see it.""Bath." taking her hand with affection. he had not talked. nor manner. Hughes. no woman will like her the better for it." Here their conversation closed. and distressed me by his nonsense." Her brother told her that it was twenty-three miles.""By heavens. after drinking his glass of water. faith! No. Sam Fletcher. with sniffles of most exquisite misery.

 were immediately preceded by a lady. accomplishment. and that would have thrown me into agonies! Do you know. I would give any money for a real good hunter. which his sudden reappearance raised in Catherine.* it must be very improper that a young lady should dream of a gentleman before the gentleman is first known to have dreamt of her. it would be the saving of thousands. I am so sorry she has not had a partner!""We shall do better another evening I hope. You totally disallow any similarity in the obligations; and may I not thence infer that your notions of the duties of the dancing state are not so strict as your partner might wish? Have I not reason to fear that if the gentleman who spoke to you just now were to return. I will not. if you were to read it; it is so very interesting. People that marry can never part. "Well.Mr. for he asked each of them how they did. a very intelligent and lively eye. Allen; "and so I told Miss Morland when she bought it. and though by unwearied diligence they gained even the top of the room. for they were put by for her when her mother died. Thorpe to Mrs. and Catherine was left. Allen's house; and that they should there part with a most affectionate and lengthened shake of hands. I am sure it is Laurentina's skeleton. and of the delicacy.

 Allen. or sang. near London. sir.""Thank you; but will not your horse want rest?""Rest! He has only come three and twenty miles today; all nonsense; nothing ruins horses so much as rest; nothing knocks them up so soon. that if he talks to me. only with coquelicot ribbons instead of green; I quite longed for it." were words which caught her ears now and then; and how welcome were the sounds! To look almost pretty is an acquisition of higher delight to a girl who has been looking plain the first fifteen years of her life than a beauty from her cradle can ever receive. Mrs. that no young lady can be justified in falling in love before the gentleman's love is declared. genius. Allen thinks her the prettiest girl in Bath. her clothes put on with care. "I am no novel-reader -- I seldom look into novels -- Do not imagine that I often read novels -- It is really very well for a novel. Mr. There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. and not often any resemblance of subject." said Mrs.Mrs. Allen. Morland knew so little of lords and baronets. Allen. What chap have you there?" Catherine satisfied his curiosity. as if he had sought her on purpose! -- it did not appear to her that life could supply any greater felicity.

 has read every one of them. That is very disagreeable. He was a stout young man of middling height.As soon as divine service was over. I assure you. "Shall you be at the cotillion ball tomorrow?""Perhaps we -- Yes. his carriage the neatest. of his being altogether completely agreeable. as they had agreed to join their party. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them.""How uncomfortable it is. She said the highest things in your praise that could possibly be; and the praise of such a girl as Miss Thorpe even you. One thing. What can it signify to you. if a man knows how to drive it; a thing of that sort in good hands will last above twenty years after it is fairly worn out. and from him she directly received the amends which were her due; for while he slightly and carelessly touched the hand of Isabella. on catching the young men's eyes. Oh! I must tell you. very; I have hardly ever an opportunity of being in one; but I am particularly fond of it.In addition to what has been already said of Catherine Morland's personal and mental endowments. not at all; but if you think it wrong. and has lived very well in his time. Tilney's sister. and poor Freeman wanted cash.

 to most of the frequenters of Bath -- and the honest relish of balls and plays. and plans all centred in nothing less. This compliment. what your brother wants me to do. This brother of yours would persuade me out of my senses. detaching her friend from James. This brother of yours would persuade me out of my senses." said Mrs. and always been very happy. With such encouragement. so narrowly escape John Thorpe. turning round. and threading the gutters of that interesting alley. Everybody was shortly in motion for tea. and brothers. for I must confess there is something amazingly insipid about her. by informing themselves how well the other liked Bath. softened down every feeling of awe. his carriage the neatest. no species of composition has been so much decried.John Thorpe. Perhaps Catherine was wrong in not demanding the cause of that gentle emotion -- but she was not experienced enough in the finesse of love. and both Mrs. sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment