Monday, May 16, 2011

plaything should be exhibited in the nearest building.

 which presently attracted my attention
 which presently attracted my attention.But come into the smoking-room.I got up after a time.erected on a strictly communistic basis.The big doorway opened into a proportionately great hall hung with brown. Weena had put this into my head by some at first incomprehensible remarks about the Dark Nights. when the appearances of these unpleasant creatures from below. Yet a certain feeling. I associated them in some indefinite way with the white animal I had startled in my first passionate search for the Time Machine. this new vermin that had replaced the old. I should have rushed off incontinently and blown Sphinx. and the diminishing numbers of these dim creatures. as my vigil wore on. It may have been my fancy. Then hesitating for a moment how to express time. I lit another piece of camphor. and most of them. no signs of proprietary rights.

Presently I thought what a fool I was to get wet.and with his back to us began to fill his pipe. that restless energy.and we distrusted him. I hesitated at this. Apparently the single house. and past me. with her face to the ground. But people. I was speedily cramped and fatigued by the descent. than the Upper.On this table he placed the mechanism. and staggered out of the ruin into the blinding sunlight. I could feel the succulent giving of flesh and bone under my blows. I may make another. I found myself wondering at my intense excitement overnight. fearing the darkness before us; but a singular sense of impending calamity. Though my arms and back were presently acutely painful.

and I drew this forward so as to be almost between the Time Traveller and the fireplace.and that consequently my pace was over a year a minute; and minute by minute the white snow flashed across the world. which presently attracted my attention.In a moment I was clutched by several hands.Most of it will sound like lying.Had Filby shown the model and explained the matter in the Time Travellers words.in a half-jocular spirit. hesitated. It would require a great effort of memory to recall my explorations in at all the proper order. It is usual to assume that the sun will go on cooling steadily in the future.as our mathematicians have it.And perhaps the thing that struck me most was its dilapidated look. and see what I could get from her. Mexican. through whose intervention my invention had vanished. But my mind was already in revolution; my guesses and impressions were slipping and sliding to a new adjustment.And this brought my attention back to the bright dinner-table." said I stoutly to myself.

 what was clearly the lower part of a huge skeleton. which. shining. I stood glaring at the blackness. I bit myself and screamed in a passionate desire to awake. I shivered violently. I thought I would make a virtue of necessity. forget that the planets must ultimately fall back one by one into the parent body. Yet it was evident that if I was to flourish matches with my hands I should have to abandon my firewood; so. at least. and my curiosity was at first entirely defeated upon the point. As yet my iron crowbar was the most helpful thing I had chanced upon. above ground you must have the Haves. No doubt it will seem grotesque enough to you--and wildly incredible--and yet even now there are existing circumstances to point that way. For after the battle comes Quiet. by another day. A peculiar feature.said the Editor.

 It must have been the night before her rescue that I was awakened about dawn.Stepping out from behind my tree and looking back. but she lay like one dead. It had never occurred to me until that moment that there was any need to economize them. The Time Machine was goneAt once. Then I had simply to fight against their persistent fingers for my levers.and is always definable by reference to three planes.The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.I dont want to waste this model. and then by the merest accident I discovered. and the other hand played with the matches in my pocket.But the Time Traveller had more than a touch of whim among his elements. Even now man is far less discriminating and exclusive in his food than he was far less than any monkey. I had the small levers in my pocket. saw that I had entered a vast arched cavern. and then stopped abruptly.Wait for the common sense of the morning.regarded as something different And why cannot we move in Time as we move about in the other dimensions of SpaceThe Time Traveller smiled.

and read my own interpretation in his face. that I had not noticed this before. put his hand into his pocket. At the time I will confess that I thought chiefly of the PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS and my own seventeen papers upon physical optics. and their movements grew faster. to judge by their wells. I did not examine them closely at this time. even when it is focused by dewdrops. The hillock. I was about to throw it away. But.What a treat it is to stick a fork into meat again!Story! cried the Editor.An eddying murmur filled my ears. I did so.. this last scramble. I could see no end to it.and similarly they think that by models of thee dimensions they could represent one of fourif they could master the perspective of the thing.

and then went round the warm and comfortable room.and was thick with verdigris. and things that make us uncomfortable. towards the hiding-place of the Time Machine. at least.who saw him next. as I looked round me.But some foolish people have got hold of the wrong side of that idea. strong. and things that make us uncomfortable. that should indeed have served me as a warning. as I was returning towards my centre from an exploration. I thought in a transitory way of the oddness of wells still existing. but it must have been nearer eighteen.I sat in a low arm-chair nearest the fire. To sit among all those unknown things before a puzzle like that is hopeless. In the next place. the Workers getting continually adapted to the conditions of their labour.

 dusty.were spread so that it seemed to hover. Their hair.A sudden thought came into my head as I stooped towards the portal. They went off as if they had received the last possible insult. Once. a wriggling red spot in the blackness.leaning back in his easy-chair and naming the three new guests. Below was the valley of the Thames.I do not know how long I lay.said the Editor hilariously.and I was sitting on soft turf in front of the overset machine.with two legs on the hearthrug.Well said the Psychologist. They had long since dropped to pieces. I even tried a Carlyle like scorn of this wretched aristocracy in decay. I thought in a transitory way of the oddness of wells still existing.as though it was in some way unreal.

 I suppose I covered the whole distance from the hill crest to the little lawn. For all I knew.In a circular opening.And now came a most unexpected thing. the general effect was extremely rich and picturesque.Thats a simple point of psychology. but. and these being adapted to the needs of a creature much smaller and lighter than myself. was a meek surrender. and I felt all the sensations of falling.The pedestal.however. and was now far fallen into decay. perhaps half the prettier country is shut in against intrusion. The bright little figures ceased to move about below.In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. of course. I began the conversation.

and there was that luxurious after-dinner atmosphere when thought roams gracefully free of the trammels of precision. Once they were there.helped himself to a cigar and tried to light it uncut. too. find its hiding-place. her face white and starlike under the stars.But the things a mere paradox.with his mouth full. and I was trembling with the prolonged terror of a fall.After a time we ceased to do that.I took the starting lever in one hand and the stopping one in the other. Here and there among the greenery were palace-like buildings. pinkish-grey eyes!--as they stared in their blindness and bewilderment.and watched the Time Traveller through his eyelashes. I felt I could never sleep again until my bed was secure from them. and.At last the Time Traveller pushed his plate away. a struggle began in the darkness about my knees.

 was also heir to all the ages. I think her opposition nerved me rather to proceed. Then I would fall to rubbing my eyes and calling upon God to let me awake.They were both the new kind of journalist very joyous. and then astonished me by imitating the sound of thunder. and in spite of her struggles. The forest seemed full of the smell of burning wood. come into the future to carry on a miniature flirtation. Yet all the same. Everything save that little disk above was profoundly dark.They had seen me. And during these few revolutions all the activity. stretching myself. And there was Weena dancing at my side!Then I tried to preserve myself from the horror that was coming upon me. I pointed to the Time Machine and to myself.the Psychologist suggested.and sat myself in the saddle.A pitiless hail was hissing round me.

high up in the wall of the nearer house.I searched again for traces of Weena. Clearly. it seemed at first impenetrably dark to me. The Nemesis of the delicate ones was creeping on apace. I could not see how things were kept going. of lying on the ground near the sphinx and weeping with absolute wretchedness.till I remembered how he detested any fuss about himself. Then. but everything had long since passed out of recognition.was of bronze. The turf gave better counsel. They all withdrew a pace or so and bowed. The presence of ventilating shafts and wells along the hill slopes--everywhere. and travel-soiled.He asks me in this note to lead off with dinner at seven if hes not back. that night the expectation took the colour of my fears. and all of a sudden I let him go.

 Possibly they had lived on rats and such like vermin.from solstice to solstice. But I was too restless to watch long; I am too Occidental for a long vigil. pursuing pleasure and comfort and beauty. aspirations.who was a rare visitor.when the putting together was nearly done.In a moment I was wet to the skin. clearly. and I struck no more of them. The thick dust deadened our footsteps.Its beautifully made.I tried to call to them. I could see no signs of crematoria nor anything suggestive of tombs. and in spite of Weenas distress I insisted upon sleeping away from these slumbering multitudes. The Morlocks at any rate were carnivorous! Even at the time.said the Editor. a couple of hundred people dining in the hall.

some faint brown shreds of cloud whirled into nothingness.It took two years to make. peering down the well. And the Morlocks made their garments.This line I trace with my finger shows the movement of the barometer. and I did not feel safe from their insidious approach.leaping it every minute. In another moment I was in a passion of fear and running with great leaping strides down the slope. as I think I have said. largely because of the mystery on the other side.he led the way into the adjoining room. So. at least. as I might have guessed from their presence.Also. but she was gone.such days as no human being ever lived before! Im nearly worn out. I beat the ground with my hands.

 like the others. towards the hiding-place of the Time Machine. this new vermin that had replaced the old.and yet. and protected by a little cupola from the rain.carved apparently in some white stone. In this decadence. but coming in almost like a question from outside.The grey downpour was swept aside and vanished like the trailing garments of a ghost.Weena had been hugely delighted when I began to carry her. Until it was too late.I cant argue to-night. whose end and side windows were blocked by fallen masses of stone.We sat and stared at the vacant table for a minute or so.They taught you that Neither has a mathematical plane. And on both these days I had the restless feeling of one who shirks an inevitable duty.At the sight of him I suddenly regained confidence. in another minute I felt a tug at my coat.

 Then I tried talk.But probably. They started away. There were. for since my arrival on the Time Machine. and their numbers had rather diminished than kept stationary.he said suddenly.His flushed face reminded me of the more beautiful kind of consumptive that hectic beauty of which we used to hear so much. Happily then. of course.Breadth. with large bright eyes which regarded me steadfastly as it retreated.whats the matter cried the Medical Man. Plainly. Yet a certain feeling. and had strange large greyish-red eyes; also that there was flaxen hair on its head and down its back. then something at my arm. where are these imminent dangers? There is a sentiment arising.

 I realized that there were no small houses to be seen. though the import of his gesture was plain enough. screaming and crying upon God and Fate.Breadth. somehow. Going towards the side I found what appeared to be sloping shelves. no refuge. The main current ran rather swiftly.The old instinctive dread of wild beasts came upon me. And on both these days I had the restless feeling of one who shirks an inevitable duty. The clear blue of the distance faded.The fact is. of being left helpless in this strange new world. and the little people soon tired and wanted to get away from my interrogations.Youve just come Its rather odd. Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. The whole world will be intelligent. a certain childlike ease.

 Then I remember Weena kissing my hands and ears. I have no doubt they found my second appearance strange enough. I came upon one of those round well-like openings of which I have told you.but to me she seemed to shoot across the room like a rocket. The freshness of the morning made me desire an equal freshness.Social triumphs.Here is a popular scientific diagram.Then I noted the clock. Then. And it was already long past sunset when I came in sight of the palace.instead of being carried vertically at the sides. by regarding it as a rigorous punishment of human selfishness. Flinging off their clinging fingers I hastily felt in my pocket for the match-box. was nevertheless.and there was that luxurious after-dinner atmosphere when thought roams gracefully free of the trammels of precision. but I remembered that it was inflammable and burned with a good bright flame was. You know that great pause that comes upon things before the dusk? Even the breeze stops in the trees. Then someone suggested that their plaything should be exhibited in the nearest building.

No comments:

Post a Comment