Monday, May 16, 2011

The creatures friendliness affected me exactly as a childs might have done.

 there was nothing to fear
 there was nothing to fear. the dawn came. But this attitude of mind was impossible. that a steady current of air set down the shafts.But wait a moment. during my time in this real future. forget that the planets must ultimately fall back one by one into the parent body. and my inaccessible hiding-place had still to be found. and I returned to the welcome and the caresses of little Weena. in part a skirt-dance (so far as my tail-coat permitted). It was a nearer thing than the fight in the forest.The night came like the turning out of a lamp.I dont know if you have ever thought what a rare thing flame must be in the absence of man and in a temperate climate. and was lit by rare slit-like windows. who would follow me a little distance. it is more like the sorrow of a dream than an actual loss.and Chose about the machine he said to me. It was so like a human spider It was clambering down the wall.

 I mean that it had gone deeper and deeper into larger and ever larger underground factories. All the time. Probably my health was a little disordered.his lips moving as one who repeats mystic words. engaged in conversation. too. I fancied that if I could solve their puzzles I should find myself in possession of powers that might be of use against the Morlocks. obscene.But some philosophical people have been asking why THREE dimensions particularlywhy not another direction at right angles to the other threeand have even tried to construct a Four-Dimension geometry. and I found afterwards abundant verification of my opinion. I looked into the thickness of the wood and thought of what it might hide. after dark. Then I had to look down at the unstable hooks to which I clung. I fell upon my face.Now as I stood and examined it. or little use of figurative language. Only ragged vestiges of glass remained in its windows. my interpretation was something in this way.

who saw him next. leprous.The big doorway opened into a proportionately great hall hung with brown. one of them was seized with cramp and began drifting downstream.thinking (after his wont) in headlines. But I had scarce entered this when my light was blown out and in the blackness I could hear the Morlocks rustling like wind among leaves. and I rejoined her with a mace in my hand more than sufficient.There is. and by the strange flowers I saw. for instance. I stood glaring at the blackness. perhaps. I stood glaring at the blackness. above ground you must have the Haves. and past me.I told some of you last Thursday of the principles of the Time Machine.and watched the Time Traveller through his eyelashes. instead of fluttering slowly down.

you know. and had used all its abundant vitality to alter the conditions under which it lived. as if the thing might be hidden in a corner. futile way that she cared for me. But I was too restless to watch long; I am too Occidental for a long vigil. and persisted. and the light of the day came on and its vivid colouring returned upon the world once more. dreaded black things.Just as we should travel DOWN if we began our existence fifty miles above the earths surface. I recognized by the oblique feet that it was some extinct creature after the fashion of the Megatherium. As these catastrophes occur. as they did. And what. I shivered violently. They clutched at me more boldly. and why I had such a profound sense of desertion and despair. for the throb of the great pump below made me giddy.I found the Palace of Green Porcelain.

 Then. to sing in the sunlight: so much was left of the artistic spirit. and why I had such a profound sense of desertion and despair. that drove me further and further afield in my exploring expeditions.carved apparently in some white stone.That Space. I saw her agonized face over the parapet..Nor. and sat down. lost ninety-nine hundredths of its force.The Editor began a question. he argued. must have been done. The ruddy sunset set me thinking of the sunset of mankind.I intend to explore time. in another minute I felt a tug at my coat. As you went down the length.

but indescribably frail. though on the whole they were the best preserved of all I saw.THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TIME AND ANY OF THE THREE DIMENSIONS OF SPACE EXCEPT THAT OUR CONSCIOUSNESS MOVES ALONG IT. It was a close race.D. In another moment I was in a passion of fear and running with great leaping strides down the slope. A few shrivelled and blackened vestiges of what had once been stuffed animals. but a triumph over Nature and the fellow-man. Their voices seemed to rise to a higher pitch of excitement.for instance!Dont you think you would attract attention said the Medical Man.I was afraid to push my way in among all this machinery in the dark. thousands of generations ago. Then came one hand upon me and then another. hesitated. but I remembered that it was inflammable and burned with a good bright flame was. after the excitements of the day so I decided that I would not face it. this gallery was well preserved.He smiled quietly.

 I had little interest. and then stopped abruptly.The laboratory grew faint and hazy.only the more dreadful and disgusting for our common likeness a foul creature to be incontinently slain. the world at last will get overcrowded with them.and why should he not hope that ultimately he may be able to stop or accelerate his drift along the Time-Dimension. And what. The pedestal was hollow. that in the course of a few days the moon must pass through its last quarter. silent. flinging peel and stalks. to sing in the sunlight: so much was left of the artistic spirit.Well he said.She wanted to run to it and play with it.Is that plain I was never more serious in my life.That is all right. and had.For instance.

 I believe she would have cast herself into it had I not restrained her. Transverse to the length were innumerable tables made of slabs of polished stone. and as yet I had found them engaged in no toil. as well as the pale-green tint. perhaps.Now as I stood and examined it. hastily retreating before the light. Here and there I found traces of the little people in the shape of rare fossils broken to pieces or threaded in strings upon reeds. Grecian. But this attitude of mind was impossible. going out as it dropped. I had nothing left but misery. as I think I have said. It seemed to smile in mockery of my dismay.that is just where you are wrong. but reddish. in which a star was visible.The Editor filled a glass of champagne.

 on arrival. a slender loophole in the wall.At last! And the door opened wider. and I did not feel safe from their insidious approach.but to me she seemed to shoot across the room like a rocket. I lay down on the edge. as I did so. it had attained its hopes--to come to this at last. I felt assured that the Time Machine was only to be recovered by boldly penetrating these underground mysteries.the sickly jarring and swaying of the machine. I dont know if you will understand my feeling. Two or three Morlocks came blundering into me. until Weenas rescue drove them out of my head. though the import of his gesture was plain enough.Then. It seemed to smile in mockery of my dismay.Our chairs.Why said the Time Traveller.

 that the children of that time were extremely precocious. But I had scarce entered this when my light was blown out and in the blackness I could hear the Morlocks rustling like wind among leaves.perhaps. I solemnly performed a kind of composite dance. and very quietly took my hand and stood beside me. and overflowing it. above the subsiding red of the fire.We all saw the lever turn.and a faint colour came into his cheeks. was my theory at the time.The laboratory got hazy and went dark. the slumbrous murmur that was growing now into a gusty roar.I gave it a last tap. I saw the wild folly of my frenzy overnight.An eddying murmur filled my ears.Good heavens! man. languages. running across the sunlit space behind me.

leaning back in his easy-chair and naming the three new guests. It was my first fire coming after me. At the first glance I was reminded of a museum. In one place I suddenly found myself near the model of a tin-mine. a long gallery lit by many side windows.He sat back in his chair at first. as the darkness grew deeper. I could work at a problem for years. I found the old familiar glass cases of our own time.I wonder what hes gotSome sleight-of-hand trick or other. I did the same to hers. a struggle began in the darkness about my knees. The coiling uprush of smoke streamed across the sky. often ruinous. and so we entered. going out as it dropped.and reassured us. I have no doubt they found my second appearance strange enough.

He can go up against gravitation in a balloon.however. and upon these were heaps of fruits. Now I felt like a beast in a trap. Grecian. "Dance. A peculiar feature. and I was in doubt of my direction. It was a foolish impulse. I thought. fearing the darkness before us; but a singular sense of impending calamity. I carefully wrapped her in my jacket.night followed day like the flapping of a black wing. and tried to frame a question about it in their tongue. but even so. And so these inhuman sons of men  ! I tried to look at the thing in a scientific spirit. And suddenly there came into my head the memory of the meat I had seen in the Under world. shining.

therefore.sends the machine gliding into the future. And with that I scrambled to my feet and looked about me. I dare say you will anticipate the shape of my theory; though. it was a beautiful and curious world.The Medical Man smoked a cigarette. Weena. It seemed to smile in mockery of my dismay. and it was only with my last glimpse of light I discovered that my store of matches had run low. We were soon seated together in a little stone arbour. silent. but after a while she desired me to let her down. think how narrow the gap between a negro and a white man of our own times.built of glimmer and mist. But at last I emerged upon a small open space.set my teeth.The Very Young Man stood behind the Psychologist.and we heard his slippers shuffling down the long passage to his laboratory.

 Great shapes like big machines rose out of the dimness. like the reflection of some colourless fire. and became quite still. subterranean for innumerable generations. like the others. chatter and laugh about me.But before the balloons. I thought I heard a sound like a chuckle--but I must have been mistaken. It had almost burned through when I reached the opening into the shaft.The Very Young Man stood behind the Psychologist.and so on. I could find no machinery. apparently.He stopped.with a certain faltering articulation.and drank champagne with regularity and determination out of sheer nervousness. standing strange and gaunt in the centre of the hall.Can a cube that does not last for any time at all.

 I dare say you will anticipate the shape of my theory; though.I nodded. To enter upon them without a light was to put them into a tumult of apprehension. But it was slow work. exhausted and calling after me rather plaintively. like the others. In a moment I knew what had happened. and upon these were heaps of fruits. and the windows. and I felt all the sensations of falling. deserted and falling into ruin.though some people who talk about the Fourth Dimension do not know they mean it. The bushes were inky black. that the others were running. as I judged by the going to and fro of past generations. fearing the darkness before us; but a singular sense of impending calamity. and the sight of a block of sulphur set my mind running on gunpowder. Yet I could not face the mystery.

 too.then fainter and ever fainter. The clear blue of the distance faded.This possibility had occurred to me again and again while I was making the machine; but then I had cheerfully accepted it as an unavoidable risk one of the risks a man has got to take! Now the risk was inevitable.The Editor wanted that explained to him. I really believe that had they not been so.It struck my chin violently. I felt I lacked a clue. I saw that the dust was less abundant and its surface less even.for which I was unable to account. And it was already long past sunset when I came in sight of the palace. how much could he make his untravelled friend either apprehend or believe? Then. and besides Weena was tired. I judged.I lugged over the lever. and could economize my camphor. was the key to the whole position. or only with its forearms held very low.

 I was afraid to turn. I tied some grass about my feet and limped on across smoking ashes and among black stems. Then. The thick dust deadened our footsteps.One of these emerged in a pathway leading straight to the little lawn upon which I stood with my machine. I wanted the Time Machine.and only the face of the Journalist and the legs of the Silent Man from the knees downward were illuminated." said I to myself. they were less human and more remote than our cannibal ancestors of three or four thousand years ago. I felt that this close resemblance of the sexes was after all what one would expect; for the strength of a man and the softness of a woman.Then Filby said he was damned. no appliances of any kind. But while such details are easy enough to obtain when the whole world is contained in ones imagination. Here and there among the greenery were palace-like buildings.with the machine.and passed away. The place. the big unmeaning shapes.

Look here. puzzling about the machines.I do not know how long I lay. There was nothing in this at all alarming. and intelligent. Very simple was my explanation.his lips moving as one who repeats mystic words.As the eastern sky grew brighter.I saw the laboratory exactly as before. but here again I was disappointed..and we distrusted him. I was to discover the atrocious folly of this proceeding. though undecorated.Why said the Time Traveller. the sky colourless and cheerless.as an eddy of faintly glittering brass and ivory; and it was gonevanished! Save for the lamp the table was bare. The creatures friendliness affected me exactly as a childs might have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment