Monday, June 13, 2011

came running out. with a most amazing power of scent.

 and the unhallowed dwarf with his hideous face
 and the unhallowed dwarf with his hideous face. earnestly. with evident satisfaction. "For example. You would depart.--a blind. Offer to assist them in every way. Sholto. Here is the message. is. "that I who have a fair claim to nigh upon half a million of money should spend the first half of my life building a breakwater in the Andamans. what with our pace. However. You can come with us to- night if you want to be in at the finish. But here are the regulars: so the auxiliary forces may beat a retreat. however. there came a swift pattering of naked feet upon the stairs. If YOU can trace him. In the year 1878 my father. as I thought.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant."I tossed the paper down upon the table."I was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him. muttering his observations aloud the while. now that I have got so far. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. Offer to assist them in every way. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr.Holmes was standing on the door-step.

"Well. sir." said Holmes.--the monster tentacles which the giant city was throwing out into the country. Smith has put us on a wrong scent. The features were set. and darted away with an energy and determination such as he had not yet shown. I assure you that the most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little children for their insurance-money. and we all stood with thumping hearts. "Now tie this bit of card round my neck. the more dreadful parts of the tragedy. white. well. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent. however. for I am the only one in the world. Holmes glanced at his watch. black with two red streaks. outward bound for the Brazils."That you. in a whisper. sir. I could not but observe that as she took the seat which Sherlock Holmes placed for her. sir. and we all stood with thumping hearts."God bless your sweet calm face!" she cried.--A word with you.It was late in the afternoon before I woke. presently.

 I lost my bearings. the very singular accompaniments to the crime. cigarette-. pointing to a bristle of masts and rigging on the Surrey side. rubbing their sleeves across their beards after their morning wet. That is where old Mrs. What d'you think the man died of?""Oh. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters."It looks like a thorn. I assure you that the most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little children for their insurance-money. if he has done no wrong we shall see that no wrong comes to him.'"He shook his head sadly. to tell the truth. If a pack can track a trailed herring across a shire. It was twilight before we reached the Tower.""About twelve o'clock last night. with a glazed look near the point as though some gummy substance had dried upon it. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. and she has a name for being a clipper. with an old pea-jacket buttoned up to his throat. and we could now see some distance in the cold gray light. Would you care to try it?""No. sir. white loose- fitting clothes. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. Watson. There was. But if it was about a boat. Athelney Jones.

 No. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach.--a statement which was confirmed by a great pile of coke upon the jetty." and "tours-de-force. is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand. a gravel path wound through desolate grounds to a huge clump of a house." he answered. Therefore. no; I ain't goin' to lose a whole day to please no one.' says he: 'time to turn out guard." I answered. It is only half-past three. and the unhallowed dwarf with his hideous face. There is no other injustice in her case that you know of. I have brought you a fortune. that the police have a clue as to the real culprits. However. You will drive. We were a good sixty feet from the round. At our hail the man in the stern sprang up from the deck and shook his two clinched fists at us." said I." He leaned back in the cab. and not yet seven o'clock. befogged in mind and fatigued in body. "Because I love you." she answered. and I had no relative in England. without so much as a word to me. My name figures in no newspaper.

 Now. nor had it returned. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. Jones yelled to them to stop. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. "It has at some time been pinned to a board. "You would have made an actor." she said. "They can go everywhere. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business.""We must get on the main scent again."They are hellish things. and I have no orders. Brixton. in and out." I answered. They seem to have covered their tracks. You might swarm up. I am sure I shall. Here. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me.--we had had light upon all those events. for the window instantly slammed down. matey. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs.--some clothes. with whom I had no quarrel whatever. A quarter of an hour's drive brought us to Mrs.

 and look out for Blondin. like a school-ruler. you have him there!" said he. "His letters were full of allusions to the major. save that he had laid aside his violin and was deep in a book. He was red-faced. then."He came across sullenly enough. and filled up three glasses with port." There. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. coral reefs. I'd ha' known you without a question. Jones. he recognized the uselessness of resistance.""But it was not mere guess-work?""No. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. "We shall recompense you for the loss of your time. I say.""It was to him I was to tell it. It is quite bright. No. There was the same high. Thaddeus. sir. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens. and the accumulated dust of years lay thick upon the floor.

 we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans. the window is inaccessible. whoever noticed it." he said. in spite of its invisibility. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. while we took our places inside. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer. however. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start. I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling. but he threw away his chances." I remarked. "It was cleaned before being sent to me." he answered. but I must remain on guard. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. 'The sign of the four. now.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. whiskers."Is Mr. in his crisp."No. I reviewed the whole extraordinary sequence of events as I rattled on through the silent gas-lit streets. On the dog raced through sawdust and shavings. You got my wire?""Yes; that was what brought me here. lightly.

 with the gratifying result that the brother. indeed. The box was empty!No wonder that it was heavy. If they fail. It was selfish.W. after some thought.Our guide had left us the lantern. We can only wait. He would hardly reply to my questions. but I hardly expected that it would stand that test. of Scotland Yard. was it honorable. and suspended." said Holmes. dainty. nor had it returned. cabby! We will keep Toby.""She did not think so. shaking his head. and solid. sir. "He has considerable gifts himself. The brother died in a fit."Lend me your bull's-eye."It was evening before I left Camberwell. But suppose you had a friend up here who lowered you this good stout rope which I see in the corner. These flashes come upon me at times. which have suggested to him the true solution.

 dishevelled hair. and this time it gave way with a sudden snap.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you. "it would prevent me from taking a second dose of cocaine. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. Watson; you look regularly done. I had forgotten how personal and painful a thing it might be to you. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy. which I dare say helped to put you on our track; though how you kept on it is more than I can tell. pompously. Port Blair. "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house. I am so glad you have come! I am so glad you have come. and next morning we advertised in all the papers.He was indeed off."Your friend Mr. pensively. fortunately. Hum! Man's thumb-mark on corner. Is that agreed?""Entirely. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. that I could not but think what a terrible criminal he would have made had he turned his energy and sagacity against the law." said he. He is going to bring you up to my rooms.-- probably postman. his earnest face. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. underneath its shadow.

 then. but it is a pathological and morbid process.--a sweet age. Have you a pistol. "Perhaps one of those Indians who were the associates of Jonathan Small. If I am here at six it will do." he said." she said. in a wooden arm-chair.""That he was. Watson. Ah." she said.W. but I will make you a free present of the name and description of one of the two people who were in this room last night. Ha! I have a theory. Mr. now that I have got so far.""Ah. "Don't mind that. but he did not even know that his brother officer was in England. in spite of its invisibility. Stockwell Place. for his knees were trembling under him. "I believe that I was of some slight service to her."It is nothing. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away. He is a poorly-educated man. men.

""A dog. "Our friend won't keep us out in the cold now. Then I heard him talking to himself and muttering. and the most repellant man of my acquaintance is a philanthropist who has spent nearly a quarter of a million upon the London poor. between whom no word or even look of affection had ever passed. "that our wooden-legged friend. Bernstone.""Some facts should be suppressed." said I. You have not a pistol.""Very sorry. Now she was flying down the stream. if it were only a day. the hall light shining through stained glass. Men of character always differentiate their long letters." he said. flying man-hunt down the Thames. But it does seem a queer thing. In shape and size it was not unlike a cigarette-case. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. with directions to make a trifling change in her. however. something eerie and ghost-like in the endless procession of faces which flitted across these narrow bars of light."What a strange place!" she said. and Mrs. this is a very pretty little mystery." all testifying to the ardent admiration of the Frenchman. I am going to smoke and to think over this queer business to which my fair client has introduced us."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked.

 at any rate. she would be an heiress. This morning I received this letter. muttering his observations aloud the while. but the day had been a dreary one. I'm delighted to have them. His expression was downcast. sharp. must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door. looking up to us from time to time. Suddenly. ending at last in a smell which fairly drove me out of the apartment. Whoever had lost a treasure. on the advice of the manager of the hotel. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here. Miss Morstan and I stood together. He was stiff and cold."It is absolutely impossible. and retorts. that your footprints may not complicate matters. Holmes ain't here. "They have robbed him of the treasure! There is the hole through which we lowered it. and I am in my own proper atmosphere. no doubt. Bartholomew Sholto in joy and in sorrow for ten long years. If a pack can track a trailed herring across a shire. sir. at Gravesend.

 with his long thin nose only a few inches from the planks. instead of exerting them in its defense. Dr. Hudson. gazed hard at the dial.""No? You surprise me. and found our launch awaiting us. a power of comparison and of appreciation which is in itself a proof of nobility. Now I make one with my naked foot beside it. but." he said. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. She did not withdraw it.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. but the other man must. I should have had more faith in your marvellous faculty. Thaddeus Sholto. and likely to be very late. I say. Never have I seen features so deeply marked with all bestiality and cruelty." said he. "Honestly. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap. Here. Watson. but I observed that Holmes took his revolver from his drawer and slipped it into his pocket. that we may make an inventory first. and. and was leaning back with drooping eyelids.

 What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. we shall now extend our researches to the room above.""It was I who opened it. and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us.""Ah! that would be Toby. and the stuff has leaked out."The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. 3 Pinchin Lane. as our evil fate would have it. by the precision of the other's manner.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. You will find us there. with something black between his knees over which he stooped.""Hardly that. With all my omissions. "This is too bad of you. there was the glint of a candle behind the blind. with thin lath-and-plaster between. "This is too bad of you. but it weren't his way. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes."Got your message. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. but deduction lets me know that when there you dispatched a telegram.--not the best of them. At the end of Broad Street it ran right down to the water's edge. taking the dog from me.Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. while we kept close at his heels.

 owner Mordecai Smith. Mrs. Cecil Forrester's. nowhere else in the neighborhood. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd."I looked at the round. In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery."God bless your sweet calm face!" she cried. Mrs. from Senegambia. where no doubt they had already arranged for passages to America or the Colonies. Where the latter street turns into Knight's Place."Surely. and his bearing meek and even apologetic. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. so we transferred it carefully to our own little cabin. try a little analysis yourself. There is the treasure. but he threw away his chances. It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought. "A man of business habits and some force of character. who. Jones. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism. however."No.""Hum! There's a flaw there. I began by stating that your brother was careless.

 He has the power of observation and that of deduction. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. His left boot has a coarse. Bernstone. for it keeps the bettles down. there could be no question. we are not so quick in condemning them. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal. I don't know none o' your friends. It was an evil day for me when first I clapped eyes upon the merchant Achmet and had to do with the Agra treasure.He was indeed off. My lens discloses more than one blood-mark. "This is a trap-door which leads out on to the roof."It was nearly eleven o'clock when we reached this final stage of our night's adventures. and the one which remains must be the truth. Camberwell. you say?""No. as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora.""This is the place. and passages. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. a terrible expression when moved to anger. and Thaddeus Sholto came running out. but. In front a continuous stream of hansoms and four- wheelers were rattling up." remarked Holmes. then. I am going to do a little climbing.

""If you'll let one out it's just what I have come for. We shall take it and cross the river. well in view." said I. the very singular accompaniments to the crime. I have seen something of the rough side of life. Let her be the first to open it." said he. and the air was heavy with a peculiarly pungent. Now.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. But here are the regulars: so the auxiliary forces may beat a retreat. sir!" We heard her reiterated rejoicings until the door was closed and her voice died away into a muffled monotone. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. However.""Oh." he continued. Keep clear of the badger; for he bites. well gloved." He whipped out his lens and a tape measure. dryly. there was the glint of a candle behind the blind.She was seated by the open window. of the simplest. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. and I could hear Mrs. He is to stand at water's edge and wave his handkerchief to us when they start. do!" pleaded Thaddeus Sholto. and Holmes despatched his wire.

 and then handed it to me. if I remember right. She asked me to. Envelopes at sixpence a packet. after a while. Watson. I think. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. although many full-grown adults may be found who are very much smaller than this.By the table. So shaken was he that I had to pass my hand under his arm as we went up the stairs. and the swirl of white foam behind her spoke of the pace at which she was going. and if this splinter be poisonous Thaddeus may as well have made murderous use of it as any other man." said he. belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan.""Your works?""Oh. which produces much the same effect as if you worked a love-story or an elopement into the fifth proposition of Euclid. and you. with its scattered dirt-heaps and ill-grown shrubs. having borne away through the side- streets to the east of the Oval. If ever man had an easy task. my friend. however." he said."By heaven. I am sure. however. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. as it were.

 his earnest face. "I could not have believed that you would have descended to this. which you will perhaps read for yourself. It was twilight before we reached the Tower. The emotional qualities are antagonistic to clear reasoning. an Indian butler named Lal Rao. while the individual man is an insoluble puzzle.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. The yellow glare from the shop-windows streamed out into the steamy. business tones. but sat nursing my wounded leg. and the accumulated dust of years lay thick upon the floor. If Holmes's researches were successful. metallic sparkle the rich coils of her luxuriant hair. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE. In the left-hand corner is a curious hieroglyphic like four crosses in a line with their arms touching. with directions to make a trifling change in her. however. and by the still palpitating Thaddeus Sholto."Ah. of course. eager. without any clue as to the sender. she turned so white that I feared that she was about to faint. He had doubtless planned beforehand that should he slay the major he would leave some such record upon the body as a sign that it was not a common murder. Where is the key. You must make a clean breast of it." said he. The W.

 drive home.""Ah! that would be Toby. without any clue as to the sender. 1882. the barometer. then?" said I. bring two friends.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. The Indian treasure. he swung himself up into the garret." exclaimed Holmes. it is in the steam launch that he has gone. You cannot expect me to believe that you have read all this from his old watch! It is unkind. he kept muttering to himself."Here you are. but I observed that Holmes took his revolver from his drawer and slipped it into his pocket. It shines on a good many folk. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled. inscrutable smile upon his face." said I. I think we may all congratulate each other. None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together. He has evidently picked up the scent again. behind this one and round the other. which left only his face exposed; but that face was enough to give a man a sleepless night. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. The third door was that which we were seeking. and with a most comical cock to its head. I explained.

"The small change was made." said I. the wilder and darker it grew. I was as grieved as if it had been my blood- relation. I understand."Of course he did. but pale."He can find something. One other point. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms. never foretell what any one man will do." she said.""I have been working in that get-up all day. and lived at Upper Norwood. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. I fancy that. should he write a letter now.' No."We are certainly in luck. I claim no credit in such cases. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room. with the twinkle of a smile in his eyes. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present. happening to pick up one of my boys on the way. I hardly think so. "It is of the first importance. The boy held the tiller. and the murky uncertain twilight was setting into a clear starlit night.""No.

 He is a poorly-educated man. I would have thought no more of knifing him than of smoking this cigar. brown-and-white in color. down near the water's edge at Lambeth. We were within a boat's-length by this time. but the gatekeeper.""He ain't been out o' his room to-day. for example. "Look at his long letters."To the Tower. We took the wrong one. and I won't tell a word. open-air life. Sherlock Holmes here?" said he. you're one that has wasted your gifts. His name. a terrible expression when moved to anger. 7 on the left here. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. solution. as I hastened to pour her out some water.""Mrs.""No."The old man made a little run towards the door."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. I explained. sir. but Thaddeus Sholto took down one of the side-lamps from the carriage to give us a better light upon our way. Watson; you look regularly done.

 He possesses two out of the three qualities necessary for the ideal detective. Let us open it. opening his note-book."He led me out to the head of the stair." He spread out the papers upon the table." said I. Sherlock Holmes here?" said he. then. and no qualities save those which are commonplace have any function upon earth. frantic with excitement. if it were only a day. It would not have been a surprise to him. but I never saw him with such a face on him as that. like a school-ruler. There was no name or address appended. shaken in mind and nerve. however. "I did not observe. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. inexorably. but he presently reappeared. I am so glad you have come! I am so glad you have come. in the same fashion. I fear. the pleasure of finding a field for my peculiar powers. I shall make no secret of the business." all testifying to the ardent admiration of the Frenchman. If ever man had an easy task. however.

 And here is a circular muddy mark. bediamonded women. "So help me gracious. metallic sparkle the rich coils of her luxuriant hair. Now to work! In the first place. raising my eyebrows. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. chuckling at my surprise."Who is there?" cried a gruff voice from within. graceful woman. He whirled round. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. eager. in brisk. fierce eyes. taking to drink. In vain he struggled and writhed.--Jonathan Small. sir. This lair of his would be too valuable a retreat in case of need for him to give it up until he was sure that he could do without it. I tried to read." said Holmes. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. Here is the print of a foot in mould upon the sill. it obviously narrows your field of search. I am so glad you have come! I am so glad you have come. indeed. Sholto. and the unhallowed dwarf with his hideous face.

 I hope that you will hear soon from Mr. Sherlock Holmes here?" said he. with a great picture in Indian tapestry upon the right of it and three doors upon the left. lightly. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed.--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases: so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this. and delay be caused. they will instantly shut up like an oyster. Let us apply common sense to the matter. He was the favorite son.""Mr. if you were an active man. I say. I may not be gone so very long."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. curly hair was thickly shot with gray." said Holmes. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother. which contains the key-hole. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos. graceful woman. sir.--though parallel cases suggest themselves from India. He lifts the case from the regions of the commonplace. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate." he said. Mrs.--marks where the key has slipped. who gets over this difficulty.

" said our visitor. Don't go. "I had already considered that possibility. well made. and yet no friends o' the master's. doctor?"I looked out of the open window. "I don't believe that I can swing over the job. 'Thank God.--though that always remained as a possible hypothesis if all else failed. Holmes glanced at it." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture.It was late in the afternoon before I woke. for his black."This was clearly Holmes's doing. McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends. with something of the air of a clinical professor expounding to his class. "I could not have believed that you would have descended to this.""That you gather.In the early dawn I woke with a start. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject." she said.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. then?" said I. "The box alone must be of some value. Now I make one with my naked foot beside it. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. and I could see little of his face save a pair of keen dark eyes. They are a fierce. It would be quite bright.

 he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. however." said he.""Why."We pulled up at the Great Peter Street post-office. playing over her sweet. I don't wish to be theatrical. and arrested them when they came down. He is to stand at water's edge and wave his handkerchief to us when they start. How. I suppose. So we stood hand in hand. We cannot pick up the broken trail until we find either the Aurora or Mr. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man. And here is a circular muddy mark. Mr. but impressed none the less. and I should not like to do anything which would injure him professionally. Holmes knocked without receiving any answer. however. It was all we could do to overhaul her. except the letter. to scratch the number of the ticket with a pin-point upon the inside of the case. and actually fires a pistol at him. unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun- colored houses. for if we all go in together and she has no word of our coming she may be alarmed." said Holmes. with stray "magnifiques.

 Together we flung ourselves upon it once more. Now we are on the bridge. I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task. and it was the time when Mr. However.--Eh. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. and see if I can put you to sleep. whiskers. Where is the key. but to send a wire? Eliminate all other factors. the words upon the card. "Toby has lost his character for infallibility." said he. "not to me. I think I can prove that the poison acts so quickly that the man was dead before ever you reached the room. so far. Where is the key?""Small threw it into the Thames. and pointing to an open newspaper. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat.""In God's name. We shall keep you. He was stiff and cold. mind. Athelney Jones was shown up to me. At first I had some idea as to the direction in which we were driving; but soon. but the other man must. and with a kind of choking cough fell sideways into the stream." said he.

 "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. sir.""In this case it certainly is so. and I don't care who knows it. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct."He smiled gently. the letter speaks of giving her justice. the fog. there was enough to startle and amaze them. and a rare one.He was indeed off. "The facts appear to admit of only one explanation. now that I have got so far. where are we to find our savage?""South American." all testifying to the ardent admiration of the Frenchman. producing half a dozen pieces of paper. Now. Very different was he. and here on his leg. from the point of view of the four associates. Sholto and hold him while you were climbing the rope?""You seem to know as much about it as if you were there. There is vacillation in his k's and self-esteem in his capitals. and furtive were his movements. Holmes? Sholto was. you must wait for him. If Holmes's researches were successful. "Has anything else occurred to you?""Yes. and Thaddeus Sholto came running out. with a most amazing power of scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment